8: New Friends

Aurora

When Aurora re-entered the castle she found herself completely lost again, wandering aimlessly down the narrow passageways until she stumbled across two people in a kitchen. They stood in the large room where countless copper pots and pans were hung on the walls and an array of every food imaginable was placed on the mosaic counter tops but she could only see the backs of a smaller boy and what looked like his older sister.

"Are you sure we can eat this" he asked, hesitantly reaching for one of the cakes

"Yes Omari this stuff is left over from those oversized mosquitos" the other girl assured grabbing something for herself "they're more interested in blood brew than real food" she spoke between mouthfuls

"Fine but your telling mum if we get in trouble"  he warned

"Mhmmm." She hummed "It's good righttt?."

"Yeah it's -" the boy began until he looked up catching the reflection of Aurora in a one of the particularly shiny pots.

He urgently elbowed the other girl and swiftly turned into a bow

"I'm so sorry please don't hurt us" he begged "the blood of forest spirits are known to be extremely bitter, unsmooth- barky even-"

"Oh I'm not a-" Aurora tried to explain but her voice was too quite

"Please all we wanted was a tiny taste, I can put it back but I kinda already took a bite, still "

"Omari" the other girl exclaimed "look at her eyes she not one of them"

Aurora rubbed the back of her neck nervously "yeah sorry for scaring you" she apologised feeling bad for the previous look of terror on the boys face who was shaking like a leaf

"Phew" Omari sighed leaning back against the counter in relief

"Don't worry about this wuss, it's his first time in the castle" the other girl said, she had dark brown curly hair and the most gorgeous green eyes Aurora had ever seen. "I'm Malaya Poirier you should grab some food before they throw it out"

"Wow all of it, that's such a waste" Aurora mumbled walking over and grabbing a cupcake, this food could have been donated helping so many starving people. It's not like it was some culinary master piece.

The taste was ok, she didn't want to be rude but it wasn't good as her own baked goods "so what's your name?" Malaya inquired

"Aurora Soare it's nice to meet you" she answered taking another bite

"Oh" Malaya's smile faltered a little "it's an honour to be in your presence your highness"

"Woah a live human" Omari chipped in

"Don't be rude Omari" Malaya hissed smacking the back of his head

Aurora couldn't help but laugh at the pair "No no it's fine, you guys don't have to be formal". She smiled sincerely; yes Aurora did technically have a cousin who was like a step sister but her auntie told Amanda that it was unseemly for the new future queen to go frolicking with an orphan (Aurora) so she never really spent time with her.

"Sooo would look like some help getting back to your room your highness?" Malaya asked shifting her weight uncomfortably from one leg to the other

"Just call me Aurora or anything you'd like" she suggested

Malaya grinned evidently pleased with her humility "Well Aura I think we're going to be great friends, come on I'll show you how to get upstairs"  she grabbed Aurora's hand and beckoned Omari to follow.

The new group chatted all the way back to Aurora's room and she was happy that she finally made some new friends.