Chapter Eleven

"And my girl is back!!!"

Emma cannot contain the giddy grin taking over her face as she reads the comment again on Instagram from Ruby. It's been a solid year since the last time she had posted anything, but she found some motivation on her little trip to Jersey and she posted the picture of Regina's feet beside hers, against the backdrop of the vineyard. Everyone and their mother has commented on the picture, so overjoyed to see her doing well and happy again.

Is she happy again?

She smirks to herself. She's getting there, that's for sure. She folds her legs on the old chair in front of her childhood desk and opens the file once again. She nibbles on her thumbnail while her right hand starts clicking away on the mouse, diving right back into editing the photos for Robin and Alice.

"Emma?" Her mother's voice lightly dances through the late afternoon air and this time, Emma doesn't scowl. "Hey," she whispers, tentatively peeking her head inside to find Emma laser focused on the computer in front of her.

"Hey," she chirps mindlessly around her thumb.

"You've been at that all day..." she mutters, stepping into the room before she breathes out a gasp. "Oh my, that one is stunning. That baby is beautiful," she gushes, bending down to catch a better glimpse over Emma's shoulder.

"I know, right? She's such a cutie. And so sweet. I couldn't believe how easy going she was, kid never cried or grew tired."

"Those eyes are so blue."

"Yeah, both her mothers have really pretty eyes," Emma comments, her mouse practically moving all on its own from the familiarity of it all. And it's so good to be working again.

"So, you came home last night rather late and you have been locked away all day working on this. You haven't told me about the job," Mary Margret gently says and Emma just knows her mother is holding her breath, hoping they can sit back and simply talk, like they used to.

Emma makes a few more adjustments before she spins her chair around to meet her mother's hopeful gaze.

"It was really nice."

"Nice?" Mary Margret muses, perching herself at the edge of Emma's bed with a coy smile sliding into place.

"Yeah, nice," she breathes out, failing miserably to suppress the small smile tugging at the corner of her mouth. "It wasn't just some small farm, it was a freaking wine vineyard. Regina's parents owning a wine vineyard just slipped her mind," Emma proceeds through a small chuckle that has her mother visibly relaxing and smiling along.

"Ohhh, I bet it was a breath of fresh air outside of the city. I did see the picture you posted."

Emma can sense the insinuation in her tone and she knows her mom well enough to know she is fishing for more information.

"That wasn't even the half of it. You couldn't even see the gorgeous little hotel on the property for weekend getaways and you definitely couldn't see the enormous apple tree that we were leaning against."

"You and Regina," Mary Margret plainly says, but again, Emma knows she is prompting for further discussion.

"Yeah," she casually replies, shrugging one shoulder. "She gave me a tour and then we ate a small lunch at the hotel. She wouldn't let me try the wine though, apparently she did her research and reminded me that I needed to wait six months," she scoffs, but her mouth is a traitor, smirking at the memory and remembering how her heart fluttered from the concern.

Much like now, that damn organ is dancing around with far too much pep reminiscing about the brunette.

"Well, I'm glad to hear that she has your best interest at heart. I think she and I would get along very well," her mom smugly states.