The One Who Misses Me

Greg's POV 

Hop. Hop. Hop. Smack!

I feel my head whip back and the front of my face burn. My one leg hooks under the other as I try to regain balance, and I end up toppling over anyways. I don't even register the pain yet, but tears were already leaking from the inner corners of my eyes. I try to blink them away and look around. Lifting my head up, I see a giant of a girl towering over me, her nose turned up at me. 

"Wren!" Another girl yells, running over frantically and throwing her hands up to her face when she looks down at me. "WREN!" 

"What?" 

"I told you to be careful!" she scolds, stepping closer to the other girl, and her smaller stature only emphasizes the giant girl's height. 

"I was!" the other girl retorts, crossing her arms. 

"He's bleeding!"

Me? 

I reach up to touch my nose, but a sharp pain shoots from it. I shut my eyes to fight back more tears, but when I open them again and look down, there are red splotches on my fingertips, on my blue jeans, and the gray pavement.

"Wren, apologize!" she commands. Turning back towards me and squatting down, she looks at me with a grimace and tucked chin. "Ouch, that looks like it hurts."

"I think my nose is broken," I tell her. 

"See, Wren?" she glares back at the girl with exasperation. 

"It's not my fault he's a weenie," she shrugs. 

The giant girl's response only agitates her, but she turns back to look at me. 

"You're bleeding so much. We better hurry," she tells me, and without hesitation pulls me up. Before I can react, she's bent down with her back to me. "Hop on my back." 

My legs are fine. It's my nose that's bleeding-

She gets impatient and pulls me towards her herself and hugs me with her arms. As she starts to get up, I instinctively grab on, and within a few seconds, she's dashing inside the school, bounding down the hall with me on her back. I wrap one arm around her shoulder and use the other hand to try to catch the blood dripping down. I taste the iron on my lips. She doesn't seem to notice, and instead keeps her back straight, head forward, and legs moving as she focuses on getting to the nurse's office. 

"He's hurt a lot," she tells the nurse as soon as we get into the doorway. 

"Oh dear. Here honey. Can you help me put him down over there?" the school nurse asks, ushering her towards the small, blue vinyl-covered bed. 

The nurse helps lift me off the girl's back and turns around to get gauze for my nose. Meanwhile, the girl is intently staring at me, her fingers picking at each other as she does so. 

"Here, press this gently under your nose," she instructs. I try to do as she says without too much pressure. She notices me wince a bit and frowns. "Oh honey. I think your nose might be broken." 

"I'm sorry. My sister accidentally bumped into him while playing hopscotch," the girl begins to explain, blinking excessively with a reddening face. 

That giant was her sister? How is she even in elementary school being that tall? Maybe she's dumb and got held back. 

"It was my fault. I ran into her," I say firmly. 

The girl looks at me stunned. 

"I'm going to have to call your parents," the nurse tells me before turning to the girl. "Alright honey. You should go back."