15: Unscheduled Visit

Sofia gawked at the Veil in front of her, as the jaws of death had almost snuffed out the only life she had. She tried to think of several possibilities that determined this impossible arrival. It was too far to apparate, so that was out of the question. It was too far to walk. She was certain the Floo network was inaccessible for the department of mysteries. She could be wrong though. That had to have been it, nothing else was possible.

A voice from the far side of the room jolted her out of her thoughts, "Hey! What are you doing here? Do you have clearance?"

Sofia turned to see an elderly wizard with grey hair standing in the doorway and groaned. How was she going to explain this to Riddle?

"Do you work here? Where's your badge?" The older wizard asked.

"Sorry, I'm Sofia from Hogwarts," She said.

His face looked as confused as she felt.

"Travis Davidson. How did you get in here and past security?" He demanded.

"I was sleepwalking." She answered.

"Sleepwalking? You happened to get through security by sleepwalking? Trespassing can have you sent to Azkaban you know." Davidson snarled.

"I'm claimed." Sofia blurted without thinking. She grimaced immediately after she said it. She couldn't believe she had used that as an excuse. With any hope, it was enough to help.

Davidson gave her a tight smile that resembled someone that had eaten something foul. "Oh, well I suppose he'll be going to Azkaban then."

Sofia's face fell. "Oh."

"What's his name, young lady?" Davidson asked.

"Tom Riddle," Sofia said.

The wizard's brow furrowed, "The headmaster of Hogwarts?"

Sofia nodded. When he didn't respond she asked, "Why are you looking at me like you don't believe me?"

"If you are lying, you will be going to Azkaban either way, so you better not be lying." He warned.

Sofia felt her temper rise. "I"m not."

"Let's go." He ordered. He looked her over before grabbing her by the arm. He started escorting her out of the room with one hand while the other held a wand at her.

"Sheesh. You guys act like I committed murder or something." Sofia rolled her eyes.

He didn't respond but took her out of the room towards the elevator. For the middle of the night, this place was busy. There were at least ten wizards walking around.

"Is this place always so crowded in the middle of the night?" Sofia asked.

"They are responsible for guarding the Veil." He snapped.

Sofia looked at him like he had grown two heads. "Why would anyone want to steal the Veil?"

Davidson grunted in annoyance. He led her to a desk where she sat down. He waved his wand and she was bound to the desk.

"You'll have to remain here until we get an answer. We'll send an owl letting Mr. Riddle know of your break-in attempt."

"It wasn't a break-in, it was sleepwalking." She called out.

He left without looking back. She slunk down in her chair with a moan. The letter they would send out would make her sound like a criminal. Would Riddle even believe her? Would he get in trouble because of her? The entire thing made her feel nauseated.

Sofia felt someone nudge her. She had fallen asleep at the desk as a wizard she didn't recognize woke her up. He was a younger man with brown hair.

"What's going on? Did they get a hold of Riddle?" Sofia asked.

"He's already here to pick you up." The wizard said. He unlocked the spell keeping her at the desk.

She rubbed her wrist and stood up as Tom Riddle walked into the room. She couldn't determine if he was angry or not as his expression was unreadable.

"Let's go," Riddle said.

She rushed after him to keep up. "Is everything okay?"

"We'll talk about it at Hogwarts," Riddle snapped.

They walked into a room that resembled a waiting room with a fireplace. A wizard waited for them. He opened the door with a nod then closed it behind them. Riddle took a small bowl of Floo powder and held it out to her.

"Go to Hogwarts, our quarters," Riddle instructed.

"I know," Sofia muttered.

Riddle gave her a warning look. "Don't try my patience Sofia."

She took the Floo powder and did as he instructed, vanishing in green flames. Sofia brushed herself off as Riddle appeared a few moments after.

"How the hell did you get into the Department of Mysteries in the first place?" Riddle rounded on her as soon as he arrived.

"I... I don't know." Sofia said.

"Sofia, I am not in the mood for games, so you better start explaining," Riddle warned, his voice rising.

"I went to sleep like I always do and when I woke up, I was in the Department of Mysteries. I don't know how I got there. I guess I was sleepwalking. I must have traveled through the fireplace and used the Floo network. I don't know how else I could have arrived there." Sofia said.

"Sleepwalking?" Riddle glared at her.

"I'm telling the truth." She whispered.

"I had to get special permission tonight to come and get you. The Department of Mysteries Floo network is kept under strict lock and key and the Veil is well guarded. So using the Floo network to travel there would be impossible. So how did you get there?" Riddle demanded.

Sofia looked at Riddle and sat on the edge of his bed. "All I know is I had this weird dream."

"What dream?" Riddle asked.

Sofia didn't think it was a good idea to mention her brother or Dumbledore so she left that part out. "I was walking through all these doors in my dream. I stopped in front of a glowing door but woke up before I could step through. When I realized I was awake, I was standing in front of the Veil. I don't know how I got there, I'm sorry. I hope I didn't get you in trouble."

Riddle's voice softened a bit, but let out a bitter laugh. "Once again you put me in an uncomfortable position with the emperor."

"What do you mean? Why are there so many Wizards guarding the Veil?" Sofia asked.

"I'm supposed to report anyone who tries to break into the Department of Mysteries. Especially the Veil room. As for the why, it's confidential." Riddle said.

"What are you going to tell the emperor?" Sofia asked.

"Nothing for now. I'm going to have every wizard and witch that was on duty tonight interrogated," Riddle said.

"What if I sleepwalk again? The last thing I want is to walk through that thing and not realize it," Sofia said.

"From now on, I'm placing students outside our quarters at night to make sure you don't go sleepwalking. That should put an end to it." Riddle said.

"I'm sorry for causing any trouble," Sofia said.

Riddle sighed and left the room.