chapter ten

chapter ten: Delta Squad

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The whole way to the med-bay, I continued to glance over my shoulder for the Sith apprentice that had undoubtedly felt my Force-sensitivity. Dank Farrik, how did I not sense his presence on the ship when I landed? I shook my head. The pain in my shoulder must have blocked my other senses.

Now that I knew he was there on board with me, I'd either have to hide my Force-signature, cutting myself off from the Force entirely, or openly face him, which was impossible given my mission. I struggled with that thought as we entered the med-bay full of...droids? As I looked around, I saw only droids. It was a relief to know I wouldn't have to use the Force to manipulate a nurse into stitching me back together again. I separated from my fellow pilot and sat down on one of the tables, letting a droid fix me up, good as new. After some stitches and a bacta pack, I was sent on my way in some wrap, only I had nowhere to go.

I knew I would need to get to a terminal for the layouts, but that I wouldn't be able to get the information I needed all at one terminal without being caught. The trooper from earlier came out of the med-bay shortly after me, "So, how's the cold?"

       "Just peachy. Turns out I had a dislocated shoulder though. Who knew?" I nervously joked with the trooper.

      He shrugged, taking off his helmet, "I'm Rafe. TK-3204. I don't believe I know you." He was a dark haired, dark-skinned human male with a kind smile, despite the intimidating armor he wore.

       I panicked at first, desperately thinking up a cover-story. But after taking my helmet as well, I calmly replied, "Sor. TK-2187. I just transferred here straight from Sunstrike Academy."

      He smiled, holding out a hand for me to shake, "Well in that case, let me be the first to welcome you to the Empire's top-secret Super Star Destroyer." He rolled his brown eyes at his statement. "I can't believe that they just put the word 'super' in front of it. It's a waste of such potential."

       I nodded in agreement as I followed him towards what I assumed was the mess-hall, "I know, it kinda defeats the purpose of a new, potent weapon of mass destruction, ya know?"

      He laughed, his voice full and deep, "Definitely. Well, this is my stop. I'm sure you have a busy schedule with it being your first day on board, but thanks for the company, Sor." He winked as he turned to enter the mess-hall.

       Once Rafe was out of sight, I pulled my helmet back on and wandered around until I found a terminal just outside what seemed to be a barracks level. Quickly, I was able to get into the system with a spike I picked up from inside the medical center. Droids don't realize the importance of these cylinders, which is a good thing for me.

       It took a moment for the system to accept the cylinder, but when it did, I finally got a glimpse of the general layout. Unfortunately, that was the only information I was able to retrieve as the figure from earlier stepped out into the light behind me, "Where is the trooper that was with you in the hangar?"

        Smoothly, I replied, "In the mess, sir."

       Once again he tilted his head, studying my movements, "What is your designation, pilot?"

        "TK-2187, sir."

         He hummed slightly before walking in the direction of the mess-hall. I didn't even bother to breath until he had turned the corner, leaving me alone. I pocketed the cylinder and walked towards where I saw the pilots barracks in the brief moment that I saw the map. That was too close.

         I reached the barracks, but then I realized that I didn't know which one would actually accept me into their squad without using the Force. Rafe's squad seemed like the obvious choice, but I was afraid of looking suspicious to him too, given he was a stormtrooper that would turn me over in a heartbeat if given the chance. Finally deciding on a random room, I walked in to see a group of pilots huddled around one-another. They each gave me a curious look before one of them said, "Are you the new cadet?"

       Thank the Force. "Yes, that would be me." I took off my helmet, placing it underneath my arm.

       "TK-4589?" One of them to my left clarified.

      I shook my head, "They were switched to the base on Morak at the last moment. I'm TK-2187, but you can call me Sor."

The woman I perceived to be the squad leader nodded, "Welcome to Delta Squad, Sor. I'm Lyra, your squadron leader." She was a fair skinned, brown-haired girl with a narrowed eyes and a serious look. "To your left is your new wing mate, Gael." He looked to be my age, with a constant fidgeting left hand that was hard not to notice. He didn't look like stormtrooper material, as if he belonged in a lab or strategic position rather than a pilot. She introduced the others, but their names got lost in the back of my mind. They each gave me a firm handshake before they continued their previous discussion of new flight formations, something I was particularly interested in.

Soon enough, we were dismissed and sent to clean up for our resting shift. Tonight, I was free from any duties, but I was told that from tomorrow on, I'd have to 'get with the program'. Then, I was left alone for the next few minutes, giving me just enough time to meditate one last time until I could escape this ship.

"Focus on letting go, only then will you find your center." I recalled Ahsoka's training as I breathed in and out. I felt the peace that the Force often brought, but this time I knew I had a purpose. Instead of embracing it, I forced it out. This is the only way to keep myself and my mission safe. With that, I opened my eyes, feeling a new pain. This time, it was internal, pricking at my very soul, but I managed to push that down too, suddenly feeling like nothing more than an empty shell of a human. I was no longer one with the Force, and the Force was no longer with me.

•••

Luke Pov

Soyara was nearby. I knew it. Since my beginnings as a Force-wielder, her signature, her presence was always nearby, always unique from all others. So when I felt the disturbance in the Force during my training, I had thought I was dreaming once again. I had searched the ship for her, leading me to the hangar nearby. While I stood in the bay, watching the TIE's come and go, I could feel her presence, as if she were in the room with me.

I shook my head, becoming frustrated with myself for getting so distracted by a phantom presence. However, as I started to leave, the deck officer happened to approach me with a new issue, an unregistered TIE that had landed moments ago. My heart almost leapt with hope, but I restrained it. She wouldn't come. Not after I hurt her.

       "Darth Malevolence, we just had a report of a unregistered TIE landing in this hangar..."

I cut him off, "Where is the pilot?" The deck officer shuffled his feet, letting me know he managed to let the pilot slip through his fingers. I clenched my fist, "Officer, that pilot is a possible rebel spy, I need to know the TK number of that pilot, immediately."

        "Sir, the pilot never gave us any suspicion that they were a spy of any sort—" the deck officer trembled as I held up a hand.

         "No, they didn't give you any suspicion," I corrected, "I'm sure it was a rebel boarding this ship. I felt it. Now go get someone who can point me in the direction of the pilot, now."

       He scurried off like a womp rat on Tatooine. That's when I felt the presence again. I looked over my shoulder to find two troopers, both looking at me while on their way towards the mess-hall. I could feel the Force surrounding one of them, but it was nearly impossible for me to tell which one before they too disappeared from sight. I started to go after them, but another officer approached me, giving me slightly more information. Now, I had a TK number of the pilot. TK-2187.