chapter eleven

chapter eleven: the rebel

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Soyara Pov

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of blaring alarms and angry groan. We dressed in our flight suits and followed Lyra in what I assumed was formation to the hangar bay. She led us to our ships before pairing off into teams of two, with me as Gael's gunner.

As we rushed to our TIE's, no one said a word. I could tell Gael had his doubts about me based on his silence and unrelenting fidgeting, but that was understandable, given I had only been on base for mere hours. I sat in my seat, quickly familiarizing myself with the different controls. Never had I ever missed the comfort of my own X-Wing cockpit so much.Within moments, the TIE lifted off, racing out of the hangar at a high speed. When I let out a muffled gasp of awe at the speed of the TIE fighter, Gael chuckled, "Guess they don't fly TIE's like this back in the Academy, do they?"

       I almost missed his comment as I felt my heart sink. In the distance, I saw the familiar shape of both A-Wings and X-Wings, out on patrol. They immediately turned to face Delta Squad, sealing their fate. Gael let out a laugh, "They had their chance. Their loss."

        Lyra could be heard over the comms, "Gael, don't get ahead of yourself. We have orders, let's get them done. Sor, watch out for your pilot, he tends to be a little..."

        "Enthusiastic," one of the other pilots called out.

        "Exactly."

         Gael spoke up for himself, "Hey, you can't say that you don't get excited to shoot down rebel scum, too. I just express it more...openly."

       With each bit of banter, I sank lower in my seat. I was going to be shooting at my own allies. Worries filled my mind of accidentally shooting one of them, killing them in the process, the guilt of living with the death of a fellow rebel all for a cover, and the innumerable consequences of being found out by my new squad. I was torn between what was morally right and what was situationally right.

       In fact, I was so caught up in my head that the I didn't realize my hands were already on the trigger, shooting at the A-Wing in my scope. Before I had fully come back to my senses, the A-Wing in my scope had burst into flames, exploding on contact with two green blasts that came from my own TIE. A hand flew from the console to my mouthpiece in horror as I took in the sight. Gael and another pilot let out a loud whoop as Lyra spoke above them, "Welcome to Delta Squad, Sor. You're officially one of us now."

       When it became clear that this squad of rebels were outmatched, they made their escape to lightspeed, leaving nothing behind except the debris of three separate starfighters, one of them being my own fault. Delta Squad cheered and celebrated by showing off their favorite tricks all the way back to the Super Star Destroyer, except for me, who used the whole ride back to grieve the loss of my fellow rebels that I helped defeat.