-20-

When the Davidsons arrived to Miami, they went to straight to Ramon Caceres' compound. Ramon was like an uncle to Syd and Sean. He, Tina, and Jeff practically grew up together as street kids and when Tina and Jeff gained control of the east coast, they put him in charge of operations in Florida and Georgia.

He stood at the doorway of his massive home as he watched the Suburban pull up with the Davidsons.

"Tio Ramon!" Syd beamed, getting out of the car and running toward him. She used to stay with him and his wife Selena during the summers growing up, but stopped when she separated herself from the family.

"Simone? Is that you?" He caught her in a tight hug.

"Of course it's me! How is everything?" She asked when she pulled back.

Ramon gave a warm smile and turned his attention to Tina and Jeff. "Super! Even better now that you and Sean are giving your parents a break and they can spend more time down here with me. Come in, Selena can't wait to see you."

The Davidsons entered Ramon's mansion and he greeted each of them with the same enthusiasm he had with Syd.

"No puede ser," a voice echoed in the hall coming toward the front of the house. "Simone?!" Selena began rushing toward Syd to pull her into a tight hug. "It's really you!" [It can't be.]

"Soy yo! Hola tia!" [It's me! Hi, auntie!]

"Dios mio! You're old now! You're around my age when we first started taking you for the summers!" [My god!]

"Okay, tia..." Syd gave her an awkward smile.

"I just mean that you're a grown woman now!" Selena's smile only grew bigger. "And you're here to join the Council! I'm so excited for you!"

"Speaking of which..." Tina interrupted. "We need to start getting ready now."

"Right!" Selena exclaimed and clapped her hands. "I got a room set up for us in the east wing of the house and the guys can head over to the extra room by Ramon and I's."

"Perfect, let's go."

***

Syd, Tina, and Selena were in the dressing room that Selena set up. The makeup artist had just left after finishing their faces and they were lounging before putting on the rest of their attire, catching up on their latest life events. Selena and Ramon were Syd and Sean's godparents and two of the few people Tina and Jeff trusted completely.

"Entonces, Simone..." Selena asked Syd as she took a sip of champagne. "Tienes novio? You getting married any time soon?"

Tina scoffed and rolled her eyes in an exaggerated motion. "Hopefully not to the boyfriend..." Sean knew about Hector cheating on Syd and ended up telling their mother about it.

"Ma..." Syd cut her eyes and groaned. Why the hell did I run my mouth to Sean? She thought to herself.

"Remind me why you're with his cheating ass, again? I ain't raise you better than that?" Tina asked impatiently.

"Un tramposo?" Selena gasped. [A cheater?]

"No es tan simple." Syd said softly. "He was going through a lot... And I love him." [It's not that simple.]

Tina shook her head. "That doesn't mean it's impossible for you to find and fall in love with someone else, babygirl. It doesn't mean that someone else can't love you."

"I know, it's just..."

"Okay, I shouldn't have asked," Selena interrupted nervously. "How are things up in New York?"

"Business is good, but the fucking Ivanov family has been trying to fuck with us. They're coming for our seats, but Simone and Sean have been able to hold things down, thank God. Still, I don't think they're going to stop even after Simone and Sean's induction. We're not sure what to do about them just yet, but the first step was making sure Simone would make it to tonight's ceremony."

"Hijueputa... Dmitry has always been overly ambitious, hasn't he? Why couldn't he just be compliant like his father? Why even pull this shit? You treat the families in your region so well."

"We think he's getting help from someone on the Council."

Selena's eyes widened. "The hell? Who do you think it is?"

"We're hoping to get a better idea tonight..."

"Well let me and Ramon know how we can help."

"Girl, this ain't nothing unexpected in our position. You know we got this."

"I know you do," Selena said confidently. "What about the other families? How are the Rossi? Antonio's sons took over a few years ago, didn't they? How's that been? I know they're a bit... rough."

"Simone could probably tell you better," Tina responded casually. "How are the Rossi brothers?"

"Hm?" Syd squeaked. Sean didn't tell her about...?

"You and Sean have been around them more than me." Tina interrupted Syd's thoughts. "I don't think I've seen those two in over a year," Tina chuckled. "I remember Emiliano being the wild boisterous one and Luca being the polar opposite. Both crazy, though. I blame their trash ass daddy."

"Antonio was definitely a character..."

"He was?" Syd asked. She didn't know much about him personally, but she knew that before he died, he ran a tight ship, earning the Rossi their spot as second in command under the Davidsons. But Emiliano and Luca were apparently even more feared than he was.

"Yeah, he was mean as all hell to everyone but us since he had to kiss our ass," Tina shook her head. "Especially to his women and those two boys. Luca probably would've been better off staying in that orphanage Italy, honestly. And poor Emiliano, I still don't understand how he ended up almost the polar opposite of Luca."

Syd's brow tensed. She didn't know much about Emiliano or Luca's past. "Orphanage? And why'd you say that about Emiliano?"

Tina leaned in toward Syd. "They had it rough, babygirl. Luca's mom was some prostitute that Antonio knocked up on a trip to Italy. I can't remember how she died, but Antonio didn't find out until years later when Luca was like 11 or 12. When he got wind that his son, albeit illegitimate, was in an orphanage, he pulled him out and took him in here. As for Emiliano, I ain't like his mom. She took out her frustrations with his father on him. I've seen some shit in my life, but I've never seen a mother so cold with her child before. That shit looked worse than any physical abuse. She straight up would act like he was nothing and the only times she did acknowledge him would be to yell at him over petty shit or use him against his father in some way... Though it wasn't like Antonio seemed to care about either of the boys beyond what they could do for business."

"Damn..." was all Syd could think to say. She felt a heaviness in her heart thinking about what they probably went through. Images of Emiliano's charming smile and Luca's intense gaze popped into her head now that she had a better sense of what was likely behind them.

"Aw hell," Tina finished the champagne in her glass and put it on the table before she threw her arms up. "We changed the subject like three times these past few minutes and none of it was positive. Don't get all sulky on us, babygirl. Let's get dressed... It's time these muhfuckas meet Simone Davidson."