Chapter 24: Under The Stars With You

Epona's POV:

I snuck outside the castle, on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. I know Phineas told me not to be alone with Draco, but I don't think one night could hurt.

Right? 

I was in blue jeans and a burgundy t-shirt, his hoodie over top. I sat in the grass, staring at the stars. I took out my headphones and played my playlist titled: It's 3 AM And We're Laying In The Grass Watching Stars

I felt the cool wind blow my hair behind me, and naturally my hand went to the side of my head, where the two daisy barrettes were. I put my arms back down and crossed them across myself, holding the sweatshirt close to me, trying to stay warm. I felt an arm go around my shoulder and pull me close to their body.

I looked over at Draco, who smiled and put one of my earbuds in his ear. I smiled back and leaned my head against his shoulder. He whispered in my ear.

"You're wearing my jacket."

I almost started taking off when he stopped me, "I'm glad you like it."

"It reminds me of you. And it smells nice." I replied, leaning back into him.

I don't know how long it had been, but eventually my eyes turned away from the stars and towards Draco. The song Kissin' In The Cold was playing. The was something oddly comforting about the touch of his cold hand against mine. He looked over towards me, and his eyes darted down to my lips.

My eyelids were heavy as I leaned my head down, closing my eyes.

Draco's POV:

I leaned in, knowing that it was probably a mistake to kiss her, but fuck Phineas I was going to do it anyways. Of course, that was until she fell asleep. It was probably good that we didn't seeing as she'll feel guilty. Not just that, but I don't think she's kissed anyone before.

I wouldn't want her to waste it on me. But, better me than that prick, right? I felt myself smile at the fact that earlier in the night she said my sweatshirt smelled nice. Good to know my citrusy shampoo came in handy. I picked her up, bridal style, and snuck back to the dorms. 

The coast was clear until we entered the common room. There was Pansy, checking her nails in the dim light of the couch, obviously waiting.

"Ahem." She cleared her throat at the sight of me carrying Epona, "Going after girls who are taken, now are we?"

"Shut up, Parkinson." 

She just smiled, "Oh please, Draco. I know you wanted her first. How does it feel being second to a peasant for a peasant?"

I sighed, "You know Phineas. Let me put Epona to bed and we need to talk."

"Ooo, does Draco Malfoy want to hear some juicy secrets? Well, I suggest you put the girlfriend away before she hears something she shouldn't."

If there was one thing about Pansy that I liked it was that when she was going to share anything, she wanted to make sure no one would be hurt by it unless she wanted them too. Sure, Pansy hates Epona, but that doesn't mean Pansy stupid enough not to realize the bad situation the girl's in.

I tucked Epona into her bed and closed the curtain around her. I walked back downstairs into the common room and looked at Pansy.

"So, are you going to get on with it?" I asked her, leaning against the wall with my arms crossed.

She sighed and flipped her already short hair, "I guess I'll get right into it. Knowing you, being the weird ass person that you are has already figured out what he wants with Epona. He wants to be in power. The reason , at leas from what I can tell, is because the guy has at least ten older brothers, all with stable jobs and wives who" Pansy shuttered, "Don't have minds of their own.

"So, he probably wants to be like them. Except his brothers just picked either stupid witch girls, or really dumb muggle girls. Imagine being in Phineas's shoes. The asshole wants to seem more powerful than his brothers. So what do you do? Get a girl who's family background is of strong wizards and witches, a famous brother to apply pressure to be great, and bam."

"I already know that. Get to something I don't know."

"Patience, Draco, patience. Anyways, to Phineas, seeing Epona's crippling mental health, she's like an uncooked noodle. Everyone else does the rest for him; puts their fingers on either side and presses in. Having it so that when Potter really does break, he'll be there to 'pick up the pieces' and turn her into his own little play thing. He's already in that process."

I started to walk away. I already knew this but something Pansy said after that stopped me, "Oh, and Draco, he's the descendant of Lucinda Slytherin. He's Riddle's cousin."

I stopped dead. My body turned to ice. "but Lucinda died at seventeen."

"there's a lot of things that ghost never told you."

I sat in my room, thinking about what Pansy had said. I did my research. Lucinda had never been with anyone, nor has anything happened to her. At least the was written down. I felt the soft orange glow of her hair and I looked up.

"I guess you know, huh?" 

I nodded, "What happened?"

Lucinda sighed, "I thought he was my Prince Charming. The one for me. But I was blinded by foolish love to see. Father never approved, rightfully so, looking back. Turns out he was anything but my Prince. I was in a situation similar to Epona. Blinded by the peoples love for my sister, and no light was on me. But that's where things differ. Epona begs for people to love her- she tries her hardest to get people to like her. So it's devastating when they don't. I shut myself out from the world. Buried my head in books as I built up walls around myself. Then he came into my life. 

"He wanted the relationship quiet, so no one knew. I didn't realize why until I died. He got me pregnant, and killed me during childbirth when I wanted to run away and leave him. Because he wanted to kill the kid; and I didn't. I was one of the first victims for the Killing Curse to be used on a person. But because no one knew about our relationship, no blame was put on him, and he got away scot free. But the kid lived, and he was taken in by my sister. Because she did love me."

I felt a tear fall from my eye, "That's horrible...Why didn't you tell me?"

Lucinda looked at me sadly, her eyes distant, "You never asked."

"I won't allow Epona to go down that path."

That's when Lucinda started crying, "It's too late for that, Draco. I might only see glimpses of a few futures, but I don't see one where it doesn't end badly for her. Next year to be exact."

As Lucinda faded, I felt my nails dig into my palm. Then I have one year to stop this asshole from killing Epona. 

I'm not going to let him kill the only light I've ever seen in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, hope you enjoyed this chapter, if you have any questions because I feel like I explained it badly, please ask.

Anyways, I hope your doing well.

Until Next Time, Byeee!