ₐ ₖₙᵢgₕₜ ₐₙd ₕᵢₛ ₚᵣᵢₙcₑₛₛ

Another day, another $7.25 per hour.

15 hours had been more than enough to cleanse y/n's mind, starting off on a clean state this Tuesday morning. 15 hours had been more than enough for y/n to consider forgiving Kai.

Overnight thinking lead her to the conclusion that she doesn't need any man to protect her from that point on. If anything, Kai's absence had only been prepping her for future battles... at least until the nameless stranger showed up as her knight in shining armour...

or at least that's the story she fabricated for herself.

A rusty squeal emitted from the busted up front door filled the ambiance of the room. Y/n looked up, flashing a half-genuine smile to her co-worker.

"Well you're in a good mood" Kai observed confused, popping his head through the hole of his apron. "Or I mean, a better mood than anticipated"

The soft grin on her face had not vanished, "I've decided being upset with you is a waste of time. Besides, I love you, you're literally my best friend"

Kai winced at those words, "you're literally my best friend"? but his oblivious "best friend" would never understand that, or even begin to notice the little things about him. "Why the sudden change of heart?" He questioned whilst folding the black sleeves of his button up just until they hit his elbows.

"Well, I've decided that you deserting me in the middle of that scarring encounter was more of favour if anything! So I forgive you" She cheered, though there was evidently an unforgiving undertone hidden beneath her change of demeanour.

Favour? The boy was lost.

"Desert..? It was an emergency, I told you;" He defended himself "There'd been a mishap in the system, and it's not like- it's... it was just another lunatic, we run into those every week"

Difference was, those lunatics never really resorted to violence, but she couldn't be bothered to explain

The smile on the girl's face began to fade out for a more perplexed expression. "You don't have to sugarcoat it, Kai. I get it, you didn't wanna stand by my side through probably one of the most endangering moments of my life, and that's perfectly fine!" She avoided the second statement the boy had made.

It was now obvious that she'd been lying to both herself and Kai the entire time. Each word that came out of her mouth came with a handful of salt.

He was equally as perplexed; was this her way of coping?

He shook his head, "I'm being as genuine as I can, I didn't mean to- it was- i.." he got frustrated, not at y/n but himself.

Maybe he should've been there to defend his friend. To him, no "emergency" matters more than this girl's safety, right? Perhaps he's screwed up, the same way he keeps screwing up the past week.

"Fuck it, you know what, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have... left..." he finally gives up the fight, heading to the storefront and turning the sign from be back soon to open. "no matter how selfish you sound right now" he mumbled loud enough for only himself to hear.

Y/n just continued to watch her friend's silhouette move against the broad daylight shining through the glass panels that formed the majority of the front wall.

Time merely continued to pass by again, just as it does any other day. Customers upon customers coming in, whether it was to buy a quick gas station snack, lottery tickets, or just restless truck drivers looking for a place to release their load.. the one in their ass..

57....

58...

59..

3:03 PM, a familiar face walks through the glass door and immediately approaches the dazed girl from behind the cash register.