ten

being recognized as a motherly figure, especially in regards to an entire kingdom, was the highest of praises to queen niki.

She had never desired anything else. Niki was set to be a queen her entire life; she was born a pureblood princess in another kingdom. Growing up, she never genuinely had any male connections. She grew up with her mother and the female servants, that was it. Her father never made an effort to be included in her life. She didn’t entirely mind, mostly because she never got a chance to truly know him and he wasn’t even there from the beginning. Niki just knew she wanted to be the best queen, and perhaps mother as well, as possible. Even though it was hard to admit, she wanted that to make up for having an absent father. She would never wish it on her own children.

Her father, the emperor, always made flimsy excuses. Most were credible, like being too occupied or having to attend a gathering, but it ached her heart when she was of age to realize he didn’t actually have any assemblages that day. She always presumed it was her mistake. Since she was an only child, she came to the likely conclusion that he was hoping for a son to rule next, not a bashful little daughter that he’d have to send off to another kingdom for marriage one day. Disappointingly, queens were not permitted to be sole monarchs. He had wished for a son, not her.

Niki tried not to dwell on her past too much. Most of her memories were pleasant, like having tea parties with the maids and sipping on warm honey tea, or taking strolls throughout the apple tree fields with her mother and sneaking a free bite every so often while the scent of fresh linen sailed through the air. The memories were golden, they were only ever comforting and warm. However, the ill always outweighed the good, no matter how much good you had.

For now, she solely wanted to concentrate on the present. Her present was holding a successful queen position and taking care of her sons. She aspired to raise them well, they were all that mattered to her. She looked upon them and beamed every time. They were her pride, her joy, her jewels. Without them, she wouldn’t be anything at all. They made her whole.

Niki didn’t like to say she was in an unhappy marriage, but it was forced upon her when they both turned eighteen. She admired Wilbur, he was a generous and lovely man, but she just wasn’t ready when they got married. She didn’t want to be wed yet, but she also didn’t have much of a decision in the matter. No matter how much she pleaded and appealed and tried to escape for just another year, it was all to no avail.

Looking at Niki, nobody would think she wasn’t the most satisfied woman in the universe. She outwardly presented very gratified and put-together, which she generally was, but she never showed her dissatisfaction to the world. She wished that she could have found someone on her own, someone that didn’t have to be royalty or a rich and impressive prince. She wanted to find a lover by herself and at her own accord. Being launched into a sudden marriage with someone you had never met before was quite scary. It was one of the things she resented about the monarchy. You never got to make your own judgments when it came to critical life events. Niki was just grateful she ended up with someone that she could learn to love over time.

---

The elegant and beautiful Queen Niki was preparing for an evening ceremony. A squire was becoming a knight. It was something almost every young boy in the kingdom fantasized about. Though, only the more fortunate money-wise were actually able to. You would have to afford your weapons, armor, and horse by yourself. The status was also very physically demanding. You’d have to constantly be ready for war, in top shape, never slacking. At age seven, you’d serve as a page for a knight, residing in his home, serving meals and washing clothes. At fifteen, you became a squire. You’d work to learn how to fight, how to use weapons, how to ride a horse with no hands and hold your lance appropriately. You would finally be deemed a knight when you proved yourself worthy; whether that be working up the ranks or fighting especially tough on the battlefield. Niki always appreciated the knights, they were always so enthusiastic about their work. Tonight was an exceptionally interesting one, seeing as the squire being knighted was only seventeen. This was remarkably rare seeing as most were knighted at twenty-one and above.

His name was Ranboo. He was a prodigy since he was seven, it was evident he was going to be knighted early. He excelled far beyond any other page or squire, completing his chores hours early and working the hardest out of any child the knights had ever seen. Ranboo really aspired to be a knight, it wasn’t something just his family wanted, and that was visible. Most children sent to be pages were raised by parents that wanted a successful son, not a happy one. Ranboo wanted to be a knight. Sure, lots of young boys dreamed about being knights, but most of them wouldn’t take the offer if given. The job was deadly and perilous, something they’d much prefer farming over.

Some rumors circulated that Ranboo’s father wasn’t from the kingdom, but nobody paid mind. He had pledged his honor and loyalty and that was enough for the rulers.

Niki turned her gaze to her mirror, arranging her dress, small crown, and stockings. She never really cared about her appearance, but she was always told she looked lovely. She appreciated the compliments. The queen took one last look and smiled in contentment. She headed out of her heavy, looming bedroom doors to locate her son. Knowing them, only Eret would actually be ready and appropriately dressed for the occasion. Karl wouldn’t be attending, as per usual, and she already knew Clay wasn’t going to be ready. Niki chuckled a little, taking light steps down the hallways to find him.