» 99 «

"Severus told me you'd come by," Madame Pomfrey said calmly, leading me into the infirmary, Draco in the only bed occupied. "He was about to get right back up and look for you as soon as he was in bed." She explained his unconscious state, seeing as he was very much conscious when he left the bathroom. "So, I've given him some sleeping draught. Shouldn't last longer than a few more minutes. Go on, dear. Sit." She hushed, pointing towards the chair next to his bed.

I sighed, a grateful nod all I could spare as I sat down on it. She understood and hurried back out of the room and into her office without another word.

He almost looked normal again. The only distressing thing about him the dark bloodstains on his white Shirt.

My eyes diverted off of him, instead roaming the empty room while I hung after my thoughts.

Thoughts leading me to think about what could've happened if Snape hadn't walked into the bathroom. If he hadn't known the counter curse to whatever Harry cursed Draco with in the first place.

Imagining it was enough to make me shudder, my body trembling slightly.

And even though Snape was ultimately the reason why Draco had been trying his best to ignore and avoid me, he was also the only reason he was still alive. And the only reason why I was able to sit next to him right now.

I caught myself wondering whether he had the mark, too. Whether Dumbledore knew; whether the Order did.

A loud groan snapped me out of my thoughts, my head turning towards Draco. He looked exhausted, his eyes barely open as he stretched once, not having noticed me yet.

Once he did, his eyes snapped open fully, locked with mine as he sat up straight in the bed, his back leaning against the rest.

"Y/n?" His brows furrowed, and he squinted his eyes shut for a moment, adjusting his vision that I'd bet was still a little blurry.

"Draco," I huffed, head tilted slightly.

"You're here." He sounded confused, the tone in his voice matching his facial expression perfectly.

"Clearly," I nodded, raising my arm in front of me and eyeing up my own body to demonstrate I was, with a small smile on my lips.

"Why?"

I furrowed my brows at his inquiry, wondering why the question was even necessary in the first place. The reason I was here was obvious. To me, at least.

Was he so used to nobody caring about his well being, at all?

"You almost died, Draco." My voice was soft, laced with confusion and, most importantly, guilt, knowing it was my own brother's fault.

"Maybe I had it coming," He scoffed, trying to sound amused, though the words came out entirely too serious for that.

My eyes inevitably snapped to his left forearm, lingering there for no longer than a mere second. But he noticed, anyway, sighing loudly.

"How are you feeling?" I asked quickly. It was a stupid question, but the only one I could come up with quick enough to avoid a conversation about the mark.

All this time; all I wanted was to know what was going on with him. And now that I did, I'd do anything to forget- have him just be the irritatingly handsome asshole again. The one that wasn't a death eater.

I avoided his gaze, knowing his eyes were piercing into the side of my head, hoping I'd turn to face him. I couldn't get myself to. I'd crumble under his gaze the second we made eye contact.