30| Better choice

Max
________________

Kino tells us during breakfast that Alyssa and Justin broke up. I keep my eyes on my cereal, but when I think he isn't looking, I frown. So I'd been right, they were still together when he visited her house.

Mom finishes washing up at the sink before turning to face us. "Is Alyssa that girl you keep mentioning? Your English partner?"

Kino while shoveling cereal in his mouth. For someone so skinny, the kid eats like he's one meal away from starvation. I look up from my cereal and ask, "They just broke up?"

"Yup."

"Do you know why?" I say it like I'm a disinterested third party asking out of mild curiosity, and Kino shrugs.

"She wouldn't say, but there are rumors all over school that it's because she's interested in some guy from Burbank." He suddenly can't keep the smile off his face. "Do you think it's me?" 

I clear my throat. "Kino–"

"Don't start," he warns. "Alyssa could be interested in someone like me, all right? It's not that far out of the realm of possibility. I can tell she likes me."  

"What makes you think she likes you?" I ask. 

He thinks for a moment. "Well, she's nice to me."  

"I'm nice to you," I say. "That doesn't mean I like you."  

His eyes narrow. "There are other signs."  

"Like?" 

He folds his arms and says, "Like she smiles a lot at me."  

I sigh. Sometimes it's like he has the emotional maturity of a carrot. "Just because a girl is nice to you doesn't mean she likes you." 

"It's true," Mom says, shooting Kino a motherly look. "I can't tell you how many times men would tell me I lead them on because I was nice to them, or I smiled at them. The best way to find out if a girl is interested in you is to ask her." 

Kino frowns. "I guess, but who else could she like from Burbank?"  

I bite the inside of my cheek. Sooner or later, he's going to find out about Alyssa and me, and if it's not from me, it's going to be a shit show. "You finished?" I ask, looking at the mess he has made. "I've got to get to work. If you want a ride, we need to leave now." 

Kino nods and wipes milk off the table with the sleeve of his sweater. Mom sighs at the mess and gives us both a kiss on the cheek before telling us to be good. 

It takes longer than usual to get Kino to school. There's a line of traffic that goes all the way down the block, and I beep several times in frustration.

"You should work on managing your anger," Kino says.

I finish beeping my horn and say, "I manage my anger just fine."

"Right," he says, and he slumps in his seat as the car beside us flips me off.

When I pull up to school, Kino scoops his bag off the floor, wiggles his eyebrows with a mischievous grin, and opens the door.

I glance in the rearview mirror just as Alyssa pulls up. I'd skipped the gym last night on account of working late, so I haven't seen her since our meal. She straightens up, her eyes honing in on my truck like she's about to come over. Kino spots her when I do and quickly walks over. She smiles at him, and I watch as the pair of them head toward the school arm in arm.