Chapter 26

Third Person POV,
The doctors allowed Ruzhaan to see Taha shortly. Seeing Taha in that condition made his heart ache and he couldn’t stop his tears. He sat beside his dear friend holding onto his motionless hand. Memories of his past haunted him. It wasn’t the first time someone was like this because of his own brother… he didn’t know if he could resent him anymore. No matter how much he comforted Rahina saying  that Taha would be back, but deep inside he was scared too that he might never be able to see his friend  who was more dear to him than his own blood.

“Itne jaldi jayega kya saale. Pehle toh bade bade wade kar raha tha. Saath jaayenge..saath marenge..apna sapna pura karenge. Apna sapna toh abhi bhi intezaar kar raha hai yaar. Uthja mere Bhai…Apne jaisa nahi hone dena hai unhe. Wo bacche intezar kar rahe hai apna unka future sudharne. Rahina bhi  ro rahi thi tere liye. Teri behen aur maa ko ab tak kuch pata nahi hai. Apne baap ko bina gale lagaaye aur maafi mange kaise jaa sakta hai tu?” He broke down crying.
(Will you leave soo soon you jerk? You made such big promises before. We'll live together...die together... fullfill our dreams together. We won't let them end up like us. Those kids are waiting for us to create a better future for them. Even Rahina was crying for you. Even your sister and mother are unaware of your condition. How can you leave without hugging your father and apologizing.)
####

Three days passed by. Taha hadn’t woken up and even Uzair was nowhere to be found. I went to visit Taha everyday atleast 2-3 times. I talked and joked to him even about how that sexy nurse was waiting for him too. I would even tell him about how his mom called and was asking about our baby at which Ruzhaan might get jealous and we would eventually end up laughing like idiots. But most importantly I would say how much we all missed him and promised to make a big feast for him with all his favourite food when he wakes up. But I didn't even know if he was listening or not.

We stopped at the signal while we were coming back from the hospital. I saw a group of girls crossing the road from the bus stop going to college. A smile came on my lips. This was ME a while ago. Struggling to wake up early, going through pile of clothes and selecting one, getting ready as if I have all the time in the world, waiting for the bus, coming to the class late. Taking ample notes, then a month before exam rushing to the Xerox shops for notes, laughing and enjoying with my friends, having a dream of getting a job and earning for my family. The signal ended and we moved again.

If only I could go back to all that normal life.

“You’re too quite today.”

“Huh?” I came out of my thoughts.

“Are you still thinking about Taha?” Ruzhaan asked.

I shook my head.
"Just reminiscing my good old days. I always thought when I would be done with my Masters! I was so bored of waking up early in the morning and sitting for hour long tedious lectures. But now... I kinda miss those days"
I smiled to myself.

He said nothing for a while.

“Wanna come with me at our land. The construction is starting from today." he asked.

“Ofcourse!!! Yeh bhi koi puchne ki baat hai?”
(Is this something to ask about?)
I said excitedly.
∆∆∆∆

We reached there and he was right. The preparations had already begun. People were unloading the materials for the construction. I waited near the car till Ruzhaan talked with the engineer and the architect.

  “It’s finally happening.” I said as Ruzhaan came and stood beside me.

“Yeah. Taha should have been here.” He said followed by a sigh.