28. Rory Preston

✫✫✫

                THE ENTIRE PALACE HAD BEEN DECORATED IN CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS. Tall evergreen trees stretched up to the vaulted ceilings. Train tracks zipped down the stairway railings. Stars and singing elves and fake snow and glowing light bulbs.

                Christmas had always been Rory's favourite time at the palace.

                Because if there was one thing her father knew, it was how to do Christmas right.

                Despite the majority of the population in Valeria having Christian origins, King William still announced the beginning of every Hanukkah, Diwali, Rohatsu, Eid and the Solstice. 

                Today, December 25th, was Christmas.

                "Rory," said Simon, pulling her behind a talking mechanical reindeer.

                Rory glanced up.

                "Amanda showed up at the hospital on the night of the Charity Gala," he said in a low voice. "She was looking for you."

                The warmth drained from Rory's face.

                "Did she hear about my donation?" Rory whispered.

                Money—money wouldn't help.

                But Rory's donation hadn't been about the money.

                After donating to the Joyful Hearts Foundation—a crisis for sexual assault and rape survivors—Rory had made an announcement.

✫✫✫

                WITH PARIS'S HAND ON HERS, RORY KNEW SHE HAD IT IN HERSELF TO STAND.

                Clinking her knife against her wine glass, Rory waited until the attention of the crowd was on her.

                "I would like to make an announcement," she said. It was the night of the Charity Gala—the night she had been waiting for these past six weeks. 

               This was her chance to make things right.

               "As you may have heard, I made a donation to the Joyful Hearts Foundation," Rory began. "But tonight, I have special news for you."

               The king's head had snapped up.

               Nobody had known what she was about to do.

               And Rory enjoyed seeing the way his fork clattered to the table, the only sound in the room, as she said, "In support of the victims who suffered from Declan's sexual assault, I am creating a foundation called the Royal Survivors."

               Silence.

               Silence, except for Paris's hand on hers, squeezing it.

               Support. Gratitude. 

               By creating this foundation, Rory was confirming the fact that Declan had been a predator. She was acknowledging what his victims had suffered. They had been paid off, of course, but this. 

                This was a gesture no one would forget.

                Silence—and then the ballroom exploded into applause.