Chapter 17 - Quality Time

"Are you sure you don't mind?" Milo asked, looking into the mirror over his dresser at the reflection of Judah sitting on his bed.

It was Christmas Eve and Milo had to go to his father's house with his brother and sister to celebrate with him, since they would be spending Christmas with their mother.

Judah threw his head back and let out an annoyed howl. "For the third time, I will be alright."

Milo turned around to face him. "I hate to leave you alone."

"I won't be alone. Your mom is here."

"Well, yeah." Milo leaned forward, despite the chasm of space between them, and lowered his voice. "But, I mean, do you really want to spend all day alone with my mom?"

Judah gave him an incredulous glare. "Mercer said it usually only takes a few hours."

Milo rolled his eyes. "It depends. We have to open all our presents, and we take turns, so it takes forever. Then the baby has to open his presents. Then my dad and his wife open their presents from us. And we have lunch. We may not be back before two."

Judah stood up and walked over to put his hands on Milo's shoulders, giving them a gentle massage. "It sounds like fun."

"I would love to take you, and introduce you to my dad, but I haven't seen him at all since I got home."

Judah cozied up to Milo and hung his arm around Milo's neck. "I have kept you very busy. Which is why I'm telling you to go."

Milo rested his hands on Judah's biceps. "I just feel like I need to spend some quality time with him to make up for the lack of quantity."

"I understand why you want to go alone. You don't have to keep explaining it. I'm okay."

Mercer burst in through the half-opened door and yelled, "Move your ass, Milo. You can grope your boyfriend later. We're gonna be late."

"I'm coming." Milo snapped back. "Get out!"

Mercer grumbled and stomped out.

Judah pulled Milo in for a brief kiss. He straightened the collar of Milo's button-down shirt, brushing out the wrinkles. "Have fun, baby. And don't worry about me."

Milo sighed in surrender. "I'll try."

Milo went over to the desk to retrieve the terribly wrapped gifts for his father, stepmother, and baby half-brother. His sketchpad caught his eye. He looked back over his shoulder at Judah retreating down the hall.

Inspiration struck him. He stuck the pad under his arm and gathered up the presents, hurrying to join Mercer and Maggie, who were already loading their gifts into the car when he arrived.

Their mother and Judah waved them off as they drove away.

The doorbell had barely rung when their father greeted them at the front door. They had decked out the inside of the house to the extreme. Christmas decorations covered every surface. It smelled heavily of cinnamon and pine, almost to the point of making Milo gag.

Mr. McBride pulled Milo into a bear hug that stole his breath. "I've missed you, buddy."

"I'm sorry I haven't been to visit yet. I had a lot going on."

"Don't worry about it. The hospital has kept me swamped this week. Besides, you're here now."

Just when Milo thought the bone-crushing was over, Mr. McBride roped Mercer into the hug. "I've missed both of you."

"I just saw you two days ago." Mercer griped, trying to wriggle out the embrace without success.

Once their father released them, Milo noticed that his wife had joined them. She held their two-year-old son in her arms. The baby clasped his chubby little hand at them, cooing.