Chapter 29

Cassie awoke to the sun's rays gleaming through the blinds, hitting her eyes. Slowly, her eyes fluttered open to be met with the sight of Remus on the plush chair in the corner of the room. He appeared to have slept there all night, laying in an uncomfortable position with his neck sitting awkwardly.

"Remus?" she inquired, causing him to jolt awake.

He quickly stood up from the chair. "Cassie? Are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

Cassie chuckled slightly, "I'm fine. What are you doing in here?"

"You were so upset last night, I just wanted to make sure you were okay," he replied embarrassed while itching the back of his neck.

"Thank you," she paused, "so... when are we going to Grimmauld?"

Remus sighed, "Well, we don't have to go if you aren't comfortable with it."

"No," Cassie said quickly, "I need to go. I can't help but think this was my fault so I need to see him, it might help with the guilt..."

Remus nodded in understanding. "I'll let you get ready then," he spoke quietly while walking out of her room.

Cassie dressed slowly. She was unsure of what she would be facing at Grimmauld. All she knew was that Mr. Weasley was badly hurt, and it was nerve-wracking to think of facing him in this state.

Once dressed in her standard all black outfit, she went out to meet Remus. Tonks is currently on a mission, so it's only him and her going.

"Are you ready?" Remus asked.

"I hope I am," she responded truthfully.

Remus gave her a sad smile and in a snap, they apparated outside of Grimmauld Place. Glancing at the familiar house, Cassie gulped nervously. She didn't think she would be back to this place, it held so many bad memories.

Opening the door, her breath hitched at the hallway in which she left Sirius, almost in tears. She remembered that whole conversation of her leaving as clear as day.

"You go ahead," Cassie said to Remus, her voice slightly strained. "This is harder than I thought it would be."

Remus gave her shoulder a comforting squeeze before moving along, leaving Cassie alone in the dark, dusty hallway.

She began to slowly walk in, taking in her surroundings. The battered red carpet, cobwebs lining the floor, flickering lights.

"I didn't think you'd be back."

Cassie looked over to be greeted with Walburga's portrait, making her smile.

"Neither did I," she answered truthfully.

"Why are you back?" Walburga questioned curiously.

"That's a long story," Cassie admitted sadly.

"Well, I'm glad you're back. It's been dreadful with this scum, all I've been doing is screaming. Kreacher is the only one tolerable," she said.

Cassie smiled, "Good to hear you've been pissing off Sirius. But where is Kreacher? I've always had a soft spot for him."

"Most likely in the room with our family tree. He likes to lurk there since my blood traitor son keeps trying to destroy it," Walburga said bitterly.

"Might as well go see him," Cassie sighed, "I'm still avoiding having to see Sirius."

"Don't leave without saying goodbye again," Walburga warned.

Cassie gave her Grandmother a smile before retreating into the room with the Black Family Tree.