Trying Hard

Thank you guys so much for giving this story a chance. I know I've been kind of sporadic with updating and stuff, but its been a little tough. Vote. Comment. Thanks.

She could tell Nolan was thrown off but then instantly suspicious when she sat across from him in the library during what was supposed to be their lunch period. After watching Nolan for a couple of days, she realized he spent lunch in the library like a stereotypical nerd and she waited until the perfect opportunity to approach.

Leon had some kind of special basketball prep/practice thing so he wouldn't be at lunch to notice her absence and her friends were caught up in some type of new drama or other to care that she wasn't there to gossip and mean-girl it out with them. No one ever went to the library during lunch but weirdos, so less chance of being seen. It was perfect. Her only worry was about his friends - those weirdos - but when she had gotten to the library Nolan was alone. The sign in sheet she was forced to sign by the librarian, said he was the only person in the library at the moment. Perfect.

Not that she was trying to do anything with Nolan or cheat on her boyfriend. She just decided, after days of thinking too much, that she was just curious about Nolan. Maybe if she sated her basic curiosity, her perversion would vanish too. She had no plans to do anything with him - none. She just wanted to talk to him. She was sure conversing with the awkward duck would help throw some ice water on the hots she had developed for him.

"Hey," she gave him her best smile. She tried to make eye contact, but he avoided it.

He looked around the library quickly, unsure but not afraid. She had no doubt he thought Leon was going to pop up out of nowhere and be an asshole.

"He's not here. He has basketball practice." She tried to alleviate his concerns. He didn't seem calmed, but he did finally look at her, if only briefly. The tablet he had laid flat on the table screen blinks off. The silence stretches for too long. "I... I'm Kiara."

"I-I know who you are." He stammered and his tone wasn't exactly friendly. Though, Kiara was just pleased he knew who she was. He didn't say anything else.

Kiara hadn't ever felt this uncertain before. Nolan's expression was nervous at the same time sort of dead. It gave the impression that he wasn't interested in her or anything she had to say. She cleared her throat. "So...you don't come here to read." She motioned to the tablet. "But to use the school's wifi?" She nodded. "I feel that." She tried to make conversation.

Nolan quickly revealed that he was not having it. "I...What do you want?" His bluntness surprised her a bit. It also made her stumble. What had she been going to say? She hadn't imagined how this conversation would go, just hoped it would take place.

Kiara was good at making up bullshit on the fly, so that was what she did. "You're taking college courses aren't you?" She asked. She honestly had no idea. She was guessing.

He hesitated before he nodded.

She smiled. "You must be pretty smart then," she complemented. His face went blank again. She took a deep breath to keep from stuttering. "You see, me on the other... Well, lets just say I'm failing a couple of classes." Not true at all, but he wouldn't know that. "I was...looking for a tutor."

She wasn't sure how to take the look of realization that came over his face, especially considering he took forever to speak. "Oh, that's what you're here for." He looked mildly annoyed. "I told Mrs. Thompson that I didn't want to be a tutor." He frowned down at the table, looking put upon. He glanced up at her after a couple of seconds, a slight frown on his face. "What made you pick me? There were at least twelve others on the list." He sounded suspicious.