𝙄 𝙒𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝘾𝙤𝙢𝙥𝙚𝙩𝙚 𝙄𝙛 𝙔𝙊𝙐 𝙒𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙈𝙚 𝙏𝙤

October 30, 1994

Aster didn't sleep much after the Ritual of Morgana. It was an immense relief to be able to put much of the Prophecy behind her. It was the Prophecy that kick-started this whole thing, sending Voldemort to kill her and her parents, resulting in Aster living with the Dursleys and putting her under the control of Dumbledore. It was a burden Aster didn't realize she was carrying until it was gone, and she felt so relieved. Sure, Marvolo had said there were other possibilities, but Aster chose to be optimistic.

Despite the thoughts that followed Aster into sleep, she managed to rise early with her dorm-mates the next day, wondering if there was any other 14-year old whose life was as hectic as hers. Thank Merlin for Severus's potions. A sip of pepper-up was all Aster needed to get back into the spirit of the Tournament.

In the Great Hall, dozens of people were already milling around, examining the Goblet of Fire. It had been placed in the center of the hall on the stool that normally bore the Sorting Hat. A thin golden line had been traced on the floor, forming a circle ten feet around it in every direction.

Just as Aster predicted, Fred and George had indeed attempted something foolish. It was with great amusement that Professor McGonagall had dragged the Twins out by their ears, with promises that they haven't given up yet!

It seemed while the Twins made it their mission to enter the Tournament, Hermione had found a mission of her own ...S.P.E.W!

"Our short-term aims," said Hermione, began. "Are to secure house-elves fair wages and working conditions. Our long-term aims include changing the law about non-wand use, and trying to get an elf into the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures because they're shockingly underrepresented."

"Our?" Aster repeated. "Who is 'our'?"

Aster and Ron glared at each other over the table.

But Hermione ignored the two, sure that her mission would bring the three of them together again. "We, and yes I do mean both of you, start by recruiting members," said Hermione happily. "I thought two Sickles to join - that buys a badge - and the proceeds can fund our leaflet campaign. You're treasurer, Ron - I've got you a collecting tin upstairs - and Aster, you're secretary, so you might want to write down everything I'm saying now, as a record of our first meeting."

There was a pause in which Hermione beamed at the pair of them, and Aster sat, torn between irritation and disbelief. "Listen, 'Mione. Have you ever been down to the kitchens?"

"Kitchens?" Ron perked up. "When have you've ever been there?"

"Severus showed me," Aster snapped before turning to Hermione for an answer. "Well?"

"No, of course not," she said curtly. "I hardly think students are allowed to."

"Well, I've been there, and I've met the elves working there," Aster said. "They're really happy. They think they've got the best job in the world..."

"That's because they're uneducated and brainwashed!" she interrupted hotly. "They don't know any better."

Aster stared at Hermione incredulously. She thought it was a little arrogant of her to imply that she knew better. "So are you saying that when the White Man went to conquer the world, to 'civilize' the savages, it was okay because the savages were brainwashed and uneducated?"

For a moment Hermione was blissfully silent, but it seemed this was only the calm before the storm. Hermione turned red and exploded. "That's not the same at all!" she said shrilly. "This is enslavement! S.P.E.W. is supposed to liberate them from their oppressors..."