Chapter 23 - Flames of Resistance Pt. 6/6

Yorktown was staring at Y/n, waiting for his respond. Y/n took off his peaked cap and gave Yorktown a smile.

Y/n: "Maybe..."

Yorktown: "..."

     Just as Y/n was about to speak up, there was suddenly a quake throughout the whole ship. Two torpedos struck Yorktown's port side, within minutes of each other. Yorktown rushed to Buckmaster's side to assist him with the incoming reports while Y/n went to the lookout.

 Yorktown rushed to Buckmaster's side to assist him with the incoming reports while Y/n went to the lookout

     Yorktown lost power and went dead in the water with an increasing list to port. Soon, reports came in from the damage control officer, Commander Clarence E. Aldrich at central station that without power, controlling the flood would be impossible.

     But that wasn't all of it. The Chief Engineer, Lieutenant Commander John F. Delaney, reported that all boiler fires were out, all power was lost, and that it was impossible to correct the list. Buckmaster quickly ordered Aldrich, Delaney and their men to secure the fire and the engine rooms and to put on life jackets.

     Y/n noticed that the list is getting worse as it was now way over 20 degrees. Buckmaster and Aldrich agreed that the Yorktown will be sure to capsize and the abandon ship order was given, by then the list to port was already at 26 degrees.

     The men on the bridge quickly put on their life jackets and directed the evacuation. The evacuation was in good order, the wounded were lowered into the life rafts first then struck out for nearby vessels to pick them up.

     Y/n was about to leave the bridge when he noticed that Yorktown was on the lookout, he immediately knew what she was thinking about.

Y/n: "You don't have to go down with the ship."

Yorktown: "...Who are you to tell me that?"

     Y/n looked at Yorktown who still have tears in her eyes, he knew she could still be upset about abandoning her ship. He made up his mind and approached her with a smile.

Y/n: "I'm the one who will take care of you."

Yorktown: "...Is that so?"

     Yorktown walked over to Y/n with her face down and suddenly, she hugged him and cried out. She rested her head in Y/n's chest as Y/n softly patted her head.

     Y/n looked back and noticed that Captain Buckmaster was about to walk onto the bridge to look for any personnel still onboard. He carried Yorktown in his arms and walked down the stairs towards the flight deck.

Buckmaster: "Are there anyone left on the bridge?"

Y/n: "No, sir. I haven't seen any."

Buckmaster: "You better hurry up then."

Y/n: "Aye, sir."

     By then, the water was already lapping on the port side of the flight deck. Y/n held Yorktown with a hand and grabbed a line over the stern with another. He slowly abseiled himself down to the water using the Dülfersitz technique.