||Prince||

I closed my front door softly, wincing as the smallest click of wood sounded from my actions.

I released a relieved breath when I didn't hear anything from mama. She's the lightest sleeper I know, oftentimes waking at the slightest movements I make in my own bed despite our rooms being quite a distance away.

I tip toed a few steps away from my home before taking off into a jog and disappearing into the forest.

I couldn't help but allow an elated giggle to escape, knowing that I would soon be reunited with my enigma.

My body buzzed with energy as I ran, while the sound of my heartbeat and the occasional wind whistle filled my ears.

Another sound though, one permeating as a familiar tone of voice, made me halt in my tracks.

"And where might you be going dear?"

My chest heaved slightly as I caught my breath, and my cheeks reddened as I came face-to-face with Elder Amis.

Oh sugar.

"I-I'm just, I was just going on a r-run?"

I pinched my side and my neck heated as I fumbled over my words, my nerves forcing my statement to come out as more of a question.

She eyed my attire and rose an unconvinced brow, and I wrapped my arms around my frame in an attempt to hide myself.

"You're taking a run in that dress of yours? Past your bed time no less."

Crows feet indented the sides of her eyes as she chuckled and walked closer to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Child, you underestimate me. I know what you're up to."

Her wisened hand lifted my chin and she peered into my eyes with a smile.

"Your eyes tell me all that I need to know. Go see him, Rose. Et sunshine occursum pluviam."

"R-really?" I asked in uncertainty, wary about how she could so easily uncover the reason for my late stroll.

When she only rose a brow at my question my smile widened and I squealed.

"Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I threw myself at the older woman to embrace her in a hug but then my heart dropped as I remembered her close relationship with my mother.

I pulled back from the hug and looked at her in worry, anxious about the only secret I've ever owned.

"But I didn't tell mama. I-I was scared that she wouldn't understand, o-or-"

"I won't tell your mother a thing."

I smiled brightly but it faltered at her next words.

"But you mustn't take too long to tell her. The truth always comes to light. Remember that."

I nodded in understanding and she gave my arms one last squeeze before walking off to who knows where.

I exhaled slowly and squeezed my cheeks together, trying to get my nerves under control as the reality of the situation began to sink in.

"It's okay Rose, you got this. You're not a baby, you're a big girl. And big girls do big girl things— like this!"

My pep talk settled my beating heart a bit and I continued my mantra internally as I neared the special Magnum tree.