chapter sixty-four

"why do i suck at putting on bracelets?"

nayeon chuckled softly, approaching her cousin with a smile as she helped him put the metal piece on. "you just need to be patient and careful. it's really not that hard."

"i tried like fifty times in fifty different ways and still kept messing up every time, nayeon! it just doesn't like me." he huffed.

"yeah, sure." she nodded, backing away for jaemin to examine himself in the mirror. "today's the big day, na." she smiled, using the same nickname for jaemin she had since they were children.

jaemin's stomach rumbled with anxiety, "doesn't feel as fun as i had always imagined it, though. especially without her here."

nayeon approached him once again and helped fix a few loose strands of hair, "she'd love this look on you, trust me. go through today like she really was here watching, okay? now come on, aunt and uncle are waiting for us."

the two exited out of the house and got into the car with jaemin's parents, beginning their ride to the building where the ceremony would be taking place. the entire time jaemin sat in the back seat thinking about everything that could go wrong.

what if he messed up on his speech and made a fool of himself? what if he tripped going up the steps to accept his certificate and everyone laughed at him? what if-

"we're here."

he got out of the car after nayeon, following her and his mother inside to the lobby like a lost puppy while his father went to talk to the other councilmen.

he heard a whistle come from behind him and turned to see the rest of the group waiting for the two.

"looking nice, guys." mark smiled.

each of the kids were dressed up in their respective element formal wear.

the earth boys sported dark green pants with matching green shirts. golden robes were tied around their waists. on their wrists sat thick metal bracelets that could shoot out both metal wires and knives. nayeon had on a green outfit that matched her mother's and aunts. it was a long robe type of dress colored light green with a gold vest type of top over it that matched the boys.

the fire nation boys wore dark maroon pants with matching maroon shirts tucked inside. on top was another shirt covering in black with gold accents that were shaped like a diamond, covering their shoulders and pointing down to their chests and backs.

the water boys had dark blue pants on that went down a bit past their knees but not reaching halfway down their calves. dark blue long-sleeved shirts were tucked into them as another article of clothing resembling crop tops covered them with water tribe jewels in the middle.

"you guys wanna hit the buffet before everyone gets here?" donghyuck asked, already taking a step towards the tables full of food.

the others immediately agreed, following him to grab their own plates and silverware. they each split up to grab their own foods, returning to a separate table afterward to talk before the ceremony started.