2

Liam Rawley

"Some of the neighborhood kids will show you around the school, "My father explained while dropping me off at school. I was super nervous to be starting at a new school and it didn't help that my father called his buddies and asked them to tell their children to be friends with me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated his efforts but it was kinda embarrassing to have your dad make friends for you.

"Thanks for driving me but I can walk home if you have to work later, "I said.

"Is that what you want?"He asked.

"Yes, I used to do it all the time back home, "I assured.

"Okay," He nodded, "Now, go in before your late."

I waved him goodbye and got outside of the car. I looked at the building and thought that it was pretty big for a public high school. I used to went to a private school back in Brooklyn but coming here, there is no private school except for the one that was an hour away.

"Hey, you must be Liam."A girl introduced herself after they saw me walking to the building. There were two other boys with her. One looked athletic and the other was not as athletic but he was a few inches taller than me.

"I am, "I said awkwardly.

"I'm Laurel and this are Dan and Roy." She introduced, "Our parents work for your father."

"It's nice to meet you, "I said politely.

"We're supposed to get your timetable at the office first," Dan said.

I nodded and all of us were about to went inside the building but I noticed a bunch of people that didn't look like high schoolers smoking near the building. It didn't take me long to realize that the same guy that threw a cigarette on my face the night before was there too.

"Don't stare for too long."Dan said seriously, "They're always hanging out around the school and messing with younger kids."

"Aren't they trespassing or whatever?"I asked.

"Technically they're not because they never go inside and the teachers don't get paid enough to care for whatever happens outside of the school."Laurel explained, "Just walk the other way when you see them and you'll be fine."

"You got us, little guy."Roy, the athletic one wrapped his arms around my shoulder, "We'll take  care of you just fine."

&&&&&&

The three of them help me set up my books at my locker and have been great to me even though they're only doing it because their parents asked them to.

From what I observed, Laurel is the mom of the group, Dan is all serious but doesn't say anything bad because he cared about his friend's feelings even though it looked like he wanted to while Roy is carefree and is just nice to be around because of his silly joked and sarcastic remarks toward his friends.

"Thank you, guys."I said sincerely, "But you don't have to help me out. I know that my father asked your parents to do this."

"We don't mind."Dan shrugged, "Your father has helped out our family around here so this is the least we can do."

"Plus, you're adorable."Roy tugged my hair.

"Personal space, Roy, "Laurel said seriously.

"You have any plans tonight?"Roy asked me, "We're going to the drive-in and you should join us."

"Yeah, you should come, "Dan agreed, "It might be old fashion but you would totally love it."

"I don't know, "I shrugged, "Sounds like it's your guys' thing."

"We would totally love for you to join us, "Laurel assured.

I thought about it for a second, "Yeah, okay."I nodded, "But I have to ask my father first."

"Yay," Roy cheered like a little boy and started to punch Dan on the arm for no reason.

"Do you have to punch me every time you get excited?"Dan asked calmly while he rubbed his arm.

&&&&&&

After school, I went outside of the building to walk home and saw the group that my father told me to stay away from outside of the school. I took Laurel's advice and walked the other way.

As I was walking, I noticed that there were people following me from behind, So, I walked at a faster-paced but one of them catch up to me and stood in front of me. I wasn't even surprised that it was the same guys as last night but I was scared shitless, that's for sure.

"I-I don't have any money."I stuttered, which made the group burst out of laughter.

"This is the sheriff's son?"Another guy asked while laughing.

"Yeah and I see that he still has that mark from the cigarette that I threw on his face."The guy said, "I'm Ryan by the way if you didn't know."

"Leave me alone or I'll call my dad, "I warned.

There were four people there and they were laughing at me while I just stood there, not knowing what to do. I could tell my face showed how scared I was.

"Look, we're not going to hurt you."Ryan assured, "We just want to send a message."

"You don't have to."I squeaked and the tears fell down my cheeks very quickly.

"Aww, don't cry."He said softly but not sincerely while wiping the tears off my face.

He then took something out of his pocket and I was afraid that it was going to be a knife but he took out a marker instead.

"Don't worry, love, this won't hurt one bit."He wrote something on my forehead and all of them laughed before leaving me alone.

&&&&&&

I looked at my forehead with my phone camera and saw that Ryan actually wrote down, "Looks likes the epel didnt fall down from the three"

He misspelled apple and tree and I'm pretty sure that he wanted to write "the apple didn't fall too far from the tree."

The guy obviously didn't finish school.

I went inside the station and went straight to my father's office but I was stopped by someone.

"Shit, what happened to you?"The deputy from the other day asked.

"Have you seen my dad?"I sobbed.

"He's in the office."He pointed out, "Who did this?"

I didn't have the strength to tell him what happened and went inside my father's office.

"Liam, "He stood up quickly and examined the writing on my forehead, "What on earth happened?"

"Ryan."Was all I said.