IX

After training the villagers all morning, I finally decided I'd had enough and called a lunch break. My stomach growled loudly and I was getting antsy because the villagers hadn't gotten much better than when they started this morning.

Din marched next to me as we stalked back to the hut. "What the hell?" He snapped, "We don't have time for this."

I casted him a sideways glance. "Din, I'm worn out and starving, and you know how I am when I get hungry." As if on cue, my stomach growled loud enough for both of us to hear.

"Plus," I motioned to the villagers, who were all sweating profusely and catching their breaths, "Look at them, they need a break. They've been working all morning."

He shook his head. "This is nothing compared to-"

"They're not Mandalorians," I said harshly as I turned to face him. "So don't compare them to us."

I heard him exhale sharply, but he didn't say anything else. We walked in silence the rest of the way to our hut. There, the child was attempting to climb up the bedposts onto the mattress.

"Oh no," I muttered as I ran forward, picking the kid up before he could fall and hurt himself. "Next time," I said, placing him safely on the mattress, "Ask for help."

The kid just cooed happily in response.

"I swear," Din said behind me, "That kid is more trouble than he's worth."

"Oh, don't say that," I started. "He's just a kid."

Just then, another village woman I didn't recognize knocked on the doorframe. She balanced a large tray of food on her hip with enough for the three of us to eat and be filled.

Din walked up to her, nodding his head in thanks. She smiled sweetly at him, glancing at me and the kid before walking away.

I removed my helmet, practically salivating at the sight of the bread, cheese, and fruit on the tray. I quickly snatched a cheese cube as soon as Din set it on the table beside the bed and popped it in my mouth. "Mmm," I moaned, letting the cheese melt in my mouth.

I reached for a slice of bread this time, but stopped short when I realized Din hadn't reached for any of it. I arched a brow at him, asking, "Are you not hungry?"

But as soon as the words left my mouth, I realized he had to remove his helmet to eat, which he couldn't do with me and the kid in the room. Before he had the chance to respond, I corrected, "Oh right, I'm sorry. I'll take some for me and the kid and sit out front."

As I grabbed a few slices of bread and some fruit, Din nodded. "Thank you."

Holding a stack of food in my hand, I swooped the kid up with my other arm and swiftly walked out the front door. I set the kid down on the front step and reached up to draw the white sheet closed, removing any temptation of turning back and catching a glimpse of Din's face.

Once the curtain was drawn, I heard a few clinks of beskar behind it, and a familiar thud of his helmet being set on the wooden floor.

I turned back around and looked down at the kid, who was staring expectantly at the stack of food in my hands. I smiled as I sat down next to him. "Looks like it's just you and me, kid."

I passed him a slice of bread. He brought it immediately to his little mouth and began nibbling on it. Goddamnit, if this wasn't the cutest kid in the galaxy...

I laughed softly as I ate my own slice of bread. Without Din to absorb most my my attention, my mind began to wonder. It drifted to the Force, the ghost of it tingling the tips of my fingers. I remembered the feeling to halting the blaster bolt in the woods and an exhilarating rush surged through my body, almost like my body was craving to connect itself with the Force again.