prologue

She didn't cry.

She couldn't. Not matter how hard she tried, no matter how tightly she shut her eyelids close.
She was tired, her limps hurting and sore.
Her mind was blank and her eyes were dry from trying to force out any meekly tears to stop herself from bottling up all that pain.

The girl didn't even let out a single sound the moment flower petals gently fell out of her mouth.

It was as if she knew she was going to end up like this.

"Tulips. His favourite." Kim Eunji smiled, wiping her mouth gently with her other hand and carefully caressing the flowers with her fingers.

This time she was once again alone at home when all of a sudden her throat went all dry.

It felt like she hasn't drunken anything for days.

And it hurt.

But the beauty of every single petal mesmerised her to the point where the smile she had on her lips was brighter than ever.

"Maybe loving you will actually be a lot more painful than i thought, Yang Jungwon." Eunji muttered to herself and looked away from the screen, where the article was still open.

hanahaki:
disease in which the victim coughs up flower petals when they suffer from one-sided, unrequited love. It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only; strong friendship is not enough), or when the victim dies. It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear.