III

Caledonia Central Police Station

"So you're just gonna ignore me all day," Iris yelled to the cop outside as she leaned her back against the cold metal door. "This is getting boring you know, I don't even have any windows in here."

No answer.

"Are you even there," she yelled again but she was only met with silence. She sighed as she rested her chin against her knees, wrapping both of her arms around them.

"Death row?!" she heard an unfamiliar voice exclaim from a distance, sending a cascade of shivers down her spine. Her heartbeats quickened as the sound of footsteps started to get louder.

"Uh-huh, exactly what you deserve," the officer scoffed in reply.

"Pfft what I deserve? You're the one accusing me of being a seraph. Like, sir do I look like an angel to you?"

Despite how nervous she was, Iris let out a chuckle as she pressed her ear against the door, putting all her weight on it in an attempt to hear more of the conversation taking place outside.

"You know damn well that I didn't mean that kinda seraph," the officer retorted.

"Oh so not the biblical angel with six wings? Please enlighten me."

"Kids these days," the officer muttered, completely disregarding the previous statement. He proceeded to open the door without a warning, causing Iris to topple onto the floor.

"Ow! At least warn me next time," Iris exclaimed, patting the dust off her shirt as she stood up.

"Are you o-" the guy was about to ask before he was cut off by the officer pushing him and Iris into the room which he then proceeded to lock.

"Who are you," Iris asked him, looking up to his bright hazel eyes.

"Ace Chalice and you are?" he asked in return.

"Iris Campbell," she replied with a grin. "What kinda voodoo stuff did you do to end up here?"

...

10 minutes earlier

"You came all the way here to turn in a missing dog? You do realize that you're supposed to call the department not come to the department right," the policeman asked, tossing away the cigarette in his hands.

"Free walks for the dog and less work for you to do, I don't see the problem here," Ace responded, rubbing the Chihuahua's chin.

"Ight well hand the dog over to someone else, I've got something to do," the officer said as he started heading back to the station.

"Thanks for cutting my cigarette break short now I have to go back to that seraph in there," Ace heard a voice echo in the back of his head, followed by a stinging headache.

"Take me to the seraph inside," Ace solemnly stated. His eyes widened in surprise as he appeared to be shocked by his own words. It seemed as though someone else was putting the words into his mouth.

"Y-you're one them," the officer muttered, hesitantly reaching for the gun in his pocket.

"Huh," Ace let out, now being in an even more confused state.

"How else would you know about the seraph in there," the officer asked, tightening his grip on the gun.

"You said it yourself. Y-you were here on a cigarette break and now you need to go back to the seraph in there," Ace tried to explain.

"I said no such thing," the officer scoffed before it finally hit him, "so you are a seraph, a mind reader to be precise."

"Woah slow down, a mind reader?!" Ace cried out, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

"Just drop the dog and walk inside," the officer demanded as he pointed his pistol towards Ace.

Ace reluctantly let the dog down and walked through the door, trying to avoid looking at the weapon in the officer's hands. "What's gonna happen to the dog?"

"That's none of your concern, now walk straight ahead," the officer ordered, still pointing the gun at Ace's head.

As both men walked deeper into the station, the dog scurried outside the gate and ran towards a cloaked woman. "That's my boy," she giggled, leaning down to give him a treat.

...

"So you can read minds?" Iris asked in disbelief.

"No! I'm not sure how-" Ace was about to explain before he was cut off by Iris.

"Shh, did you hear that," she nervously questioned as she pointed her thin finger towards the door.

"Schedule the next possible execution for them, these seraphim have no place in our community," a man outside spoke sternly.

"How exactly do we know that they are seraphim," another man asked.

"You can check for yourself Mr. Miller," the officer stated as he unlocked the door.

Iris's heartbeat quickened as she looked at the three men standing in front of her. Besides the officer, she recognized the other two: Frederick Dominguez and Cassian Miller. Well, how could she not, considering how the nation was practically run by these two.

Frederick smirked as he looked at the troubled state of Iris and Ace. "Ight set them up fo-" he was about to order before his face suddenly went blank. "These kids look powerless are you kidding me," Frederick exclaimed with a sudden change in his tone.

"B-but sir that kid read my mind earlier," the officer tried to argue. "Not to mention how that girl's mother turned her in for teleporting."

"They just look like mentally unstable kids who got wrongly turned in for cash," Frederick replied. "Take them to the asylum instead, we can keep an eye on them there."

Cassian took a few steps back as he gaped at Frederick in confusion. There was something uncanny about how fast Frederick switched up; it was as if someone was controlling his mind. The last time Cassian had seen such a thing was 18 years ago- back when Avalon was still alive.