Chapter 34: The Father

chapter 34: the father •••

Din looks over at the little one fondly as Corvus comes into view. He's sitting on top of the controls, looking as content as ever to be up front. Din doesn't usually let him sit here anymore, but with the inevitable separation that's coming between himself and the one he's come to consider a son, he's been letting the baby stay as close as he can allow.

"I'm starting the landing cycle," Din tells the baby with a gentle yet matter-of-fact tone, clicking around the controls as he prepares the Crest to land. "You better get back in your seat."

Din keeps moving around the controls, but he can sense the baby's presence beside him, unmoving as he coos curiously at something he's seen. He frowns beneath his helmet, taking the time to look at the little one as he jerks his head back towards the seat behind him.

"Hey, what did I tell you?" Din scolds softly. "Back in your seat."

The baby coos rather sadly as he makes his way to his seat, though Din distracts himself by continuing to prepare the Crest for landing. He can't help smiling to himself underneath the helmet at the idea of the baby wanting to be close to him—though it's a bittersweet feeling. Din knows what's to come on Corvus and he wonders if the baby does, too. His son's always seemed to understand everything around him, especially as of late, in a way that amazes Din.

Din's noticed it lately when it comes to you. The thought of you in general makes Din smile as he eases the Crest down to the surface of Corvus. You're in the hull right now, making preparations for the trip that lies ahead. Ever since you left Nevarro, there's been a certain glow to you that Din hasn't seen before. The baby seems to notice it, too, as he sticks closer to your side than ever. He's often cooing happily at you even with nothing in particular prompting it.

This has caused Din's thoughts to go places he knows they shouldn't—to have hopeful thoughts of something you might have found out on Nevarro. He knows it's possible, but it's not likely, and so Din doesn't dare to get his hopes up. He knows you would tell him about something so important, too, unless you had a good reason not to. That's why Din keeps it as a mere daydream, an alternate reality he can think of in a galaxy where Moff Gideon didn't survive that crash and he could finally make a home for you, the child, and the rest of your future family.

He releases a sigh as he flies the Crest over the city of Calodan, soon finding sturdy ground on which to land the ship. The planet seems rather eerie even through the transparisteel of the cockpit. Din can see a greenish haze that's settled in the surrounding wood, the silhouette of a large creature in the distance warning him of possible trouble. He's cautious even within his ship as he rises from his seat, gesturing for the baby to follow as he heads down to where you are in the hull.

You turn around to face him and for a second, Din thinks you've knocked the air from his lungs just at the smile you give him. You've already gotten everything prepared for the trek ahead—the brown bag he'd been given by your friends on Sorgan to carry the baby, the pulse rifle loaded in your hands, a small bag of your own that's no doubt full of food and water in case you can't get back to the Crest for the night. Din looks at you and sees not just his wife, not just a fighter, not just a mother—but the co-leader of his clan. He knows the future of it is in good hands.

"Din?" your voice pulls Din from his trance, making him blink a few times behind his helmet as he takes another step towards you. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah," Din assures you, taking the pulse rifle from your hands as he slings it over his shoulder. "I just..." Din pauses, using a gloved hand to gesture to you, "... you."

You laugh softly, raising an eyebrow as you press your hands upon his cuirass. "What did I do this time?"

Din shakes his helmet. "There are no words for it." He lifts a hand to raise his helmet just enough to kiss you, relishing in the feeling before he reluctantly pulls away. "We should head out."