Ten

Growing up, Thanksgiving was my favorite holiday. I was the one to help my mom cook while my sisters and dad decorated the house.

We would watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and then go back home and get dressed up for dinner. My Nonna and Nonno would make the drive down from New Jersey to have dinner with us. 

The day after Thanksgiving, we would always go out to pick a Christmas tree and then decorate the entire house for the holiday season.

I knew that this holiday season would be different but I was trying to keep an open mind and an open heart.

My grandparents always threw an annual Thanksgiving day party with my mom's side of the family. Tía Ramona and Tío Rueben would come over with their kids, my grandparents' siblings that lived close, and some of our family friends.

When my grandparents found out that I was going to Brennan's house in the evening, they insisted that I invited him over during the day.

Of course, they didn't know that I was only going over there to figure out if this was the guy that had something to do with my family's murder.

Brennan agreed to come over from three to seven and I couldn't wait to see how he handled my loud and energetic Venezuelan family.

My family's Thanksgiving gathering was super casual while the DuPont's Thanksgiving party called for ties and a nice dress.

I was savoring the moments in my comfy bodysuit and jeans.

"I want you to be warned that I have fourteen first cousins." I gave Brennan a rundown.

I met him outside so he didn't have to walk into the house looking all confused.

"My mom's siblings have eight and six kids each." I went on.

"I didn't realize that your family was hardcore Catholics." Brennan pointed out as he pulled a hanging bag of out his backseat.

I assumed that it was his clothes for his parents' party.

"Yup," I confirmed. "My dad's side were the lenient Catholics."

"How many people are inside right now?" he asked me.

"Fortyish much smaller than your family's party." I shook my head as we walked towards the front door. "I prefer bigger parties because it's easier to fly under the radar. Small parties don't give you any privacy."

He chuckled. "Ok, Jordan Baker from Great Gatsby."

My heart melted.

"I love that book and movie." we walked across the lawn. "But I don't think of myself as Jordan. She's a liar and self-centered."

"I think that I'm somewhere between Nick and Daisy, a dreamer, somewhat manipulative, tolerant, open-minded, and a good listener." I continued.

"Well, you are nothing if not self-aware," he commented as walked into the loud house.

God's Plan was playing in the distance and it was probably one of my older cousins. Brennan and I ran upstairs to put his bag into my room before we joined the party.

"Tía Ramona this is my friend, Brennan. Brennan this is my mom's younger sister." I introduced them. "She has six kids, three boys, and three girls."

My aunt gave him a hug. "It's so nice to have Ryan and there and to meet one of her friends."

"Can you believe that I haven't really hung out with her since she was fifteen?" my aunt squeezed me close.

I was basically meeting my cousins and family friends with Brennan.