Dean Portman

Requested by honk_paige

Eden Hall was home to some of the most successful people around the state, this included their children as well. From pre teens to young adults, these students were devoted to their academics and athletics. Their futures were mostly planned out for them and abiding by the rules wasn't anything to question. Some students more than others, but each had the same goal in the end; to be successful and accomplished.

One girl wanted that more than anything.

Seventeen year old Mercedes was one of those people. One of the people whose lives were practically built for her and she simply needed to live it. To reach a new height of achievement each year to further herself in future plans her father and mother wanted. Both her parents worked incredibly hard to be where they stood that day.

She never doubted their thoughts or plans, always going along with what they wanted from her. She attended many meetings, she ate dinner as if she were royal, she had every piece of clothing she could ever want and even more, she had all the love in the world from her parents. There was a catch though, her father is the mayor of the city, she was among some of the most influential and wealthy teenagers in the state.

In her last year of school, Mercedes was four months away from graduation and her first day of college. Her focus was on her academics, wanting to remain at the top of the class in every class. However, one thing was setting her back and that thing was a person. To slim it down, it was a twelfth year hockey player who attended the school and she wanted absolutely nothing to do with him.

Everyday he spoke to her, whether it was a comment to annoy her or a simple nod. He stared often, sitting at the back of the class beside his best friend gave him the optimal view of Mercedes. He could listen to her, see her raise her hand and watch the way she quietly wrote down notes. She didn't speak to friends in class unless it was allowed to, she remained focused on her studies and didn't speak out of turn.

He liked her for her looks, not for her wealth or goals. It was simply the fact she was gorgeous and someone he could never associate with, however, he'd been trying to change that. Little by little he was trying to charm her, to become her friend, but no matter what he tried, it was useless. She had no time or sympathy for him.

The class was about to finish and the end of the day began, students were eager to leave their classes and start their night lives. Whether it was sporting games and practices, or study meets and simple lounging. Tapping the end of her pen on her desk, Mercedes stared at her blank sheet of paper, unable to come up with an idea for her English essay. The topic had been given that day, but like every essay, she'd been able to come up with a fairly realistic topic idea, but today she wasn't.

With a sigh, she lied back in her seat, placing her foot on the ground from having been looped over her knee. Her eyes scanned the blank sheet in which she'd drawn her spider's web of ideas, though not a single idea was written. Furrowing her brows, she stared up at the clock, ready to get out of there and head for the library.

When the bell had rang, she waited and watched as other students got up in a hurry, having already packed their books and bags. As most had fled the room, she stacked her textbook on top of her novel, then placed her pencil case above it and pulled the pile to her arm. On her feet, she made her way out of the classroom, other students flooding the hallways that became a zoo.

From behind, a familiar face had walked up behind her, using his hand to flick some of her hair over her shoulder. She stopped in her tracks and turned around to come face to face with the boy. She'd of assumed it was one of her best friends, but no, it was none other than Dean Portman himself.

"Dropped this." He waved a pen in front of her.

She stared at it, a brow raising in suspicion because that wasn't even close to her pen. "That is your pen. Now leave me alone." She turned back around with a huff.

Mercedes wasn't what people considered a priss or snob, she wasn't the center of attention and demanded compliments. Her personality was far from that. As a person she was very down to earth and accepted everyone and anyone, though, when it came to Dean Portman, things were different. Very different.

She'd known him since their freshmen year and Portman had been on her radar since then. She first noticed him when he was hitting on the older girls, then when the Varsity boys were picking on him and his teammates. She got a sight of who he was, but didn't know him personally and to this day, she still didn't know him well. She disliked him for the fact that he couldn't take a hint, that he didn't understand that she didn't want to be his friend. That because he annoyed her, it made her annoyed of him.

He was pecking at her shoulder everyday like a little kid and she'd had enough, eventually doing whatever she had to get rid of him. He wasn't going away and she knew that very well. A small part of her waited everyday for him to come poke fun at her because she knew he would come. And every time she grew annoyed and frustrated with him. His antics were the most of her concerns, because if he kept bothering her, the more she lost focus on her studies.

Pushing away from the classroom door, he followed her down the hallway. "Come on now, not even a 'thanks for trying' or 'see you around', babe?"

She huffed and stopped, he about ran into her and she stepped back with wide eyes. "See what happens if you call me 'babe' again and for the thousandth time, leave me be. I don't have time for your games, I've got work to do."

"Work?" He scoffed. "What work?"

She shrugged, not sure if his level of education would understand. "Why does it matter?" She asked instead, skipping the idea.

He leaned forward, lowering to her level and she didn't dare look at him as his head came to her shoulder, inches away from him. "If you take a minute to look around you, there's people like you and people like me, all of them have some sort of life outside of school."

"What're you trying to say, Dean?" She asked in frustration, her voice clearly mad.

He smirked. "I'm saying you need to pull the tampon out a bit and lighten up."

She gasped at his comment and turned around, her hand whipping him across the side of the face. "How dare you...How dare you talk like that." She shook her head.

He shrugged, feeling the burn in his cheek, but wasn't going to let her know that. "Lighten the fuck up a bit, Mercedes...And by the way, I'm a hockey player, so you might wanna hit a little harder next time."

Her brows furrowed and lips pressed to a thin line, not needing to speak anymore considering the conversation was over. "Have a good night, Dean."

With that, she turned away and began walking down the hall. He watched her ass with every step forward she took, but nonetheless, spoke up once more. "Every business woman has time for a little fun." He shouted down the hall, earning looks. "Look into it!"

Her cheeks grew red in utter embarrassment as she lowered her head and turned down a hall quickly, needing to get away from him.

Dean Portman was the least of her worries, but he was definitely at the top of her radar list.