25

"Alina."

I whispered my best friend's name before running up and engulfing her in a hug. I thought she went missing all these years, if not dead, but here she is in flesh and bone. The scar on her face was faded and she was glowing with happiness. I connected the dots and realized the truth.

"You are Killian's wife! You saved me that day! Why didn't you tell me it was you from the start?"

"I wanted to, but it didn't seem like the right time. I am Killian's wife and that is your godson, Maximus."

"My godson?"

How can she make me her son's godmother when we hadn't had contact in so long. I just remembered our promise as little girls to be the godmothers of all our children. The smile that etched on my face expanded, remembering the good old days.

I took baby Max from Tommy and he smiled when I carried him. I rocked his body lightly as he gurgled and grabbed a strand of my hair. He looked to be around six months old with chubby cheeks. He shared his father's features, while only inhabiting his mother's brown eyes.

He saw his father behind me as he reached his arms out to him. I passed the infant and looked back at my best friend. I'm happy that her life has blossomed into something beautiful after leaving Alasia.

"I believe you girls have some catching up to do."

With that, all three boys left the house, to where I'm assuming my husband to tell him of my whereabouts. I couldn't care less about my marital problems and faced my best friend. We were both quiet, the excitement of reuniting running through our veins.

I decided to break the silence with a light question. I knew we would eventually talk about our birth kingdom and my husband, but I needed some happy thoughts now.

"How did you and Killian meet?"

I broke the silence and her face formed into one of love. She was taken to another world as she began explaining the story with a love-struck smile on her face.

"After I was banished from Alasia, I was travelling in the woods for days. He was returning from a trip to his distant relatives in a nearby kingdom and saw my poor state.

He was so handsome, kind, and friendly, it was love at first sight for me. I thought he would find me unappealing for the scar etched on my face, so I believed that the future I dreamed about us will merely be a dream.

I got a job as a maid within the castle and I learned Killian was engaged to a merchant's daughter. I knew I can't go after an engaged man, so I spent less time with him.

He seemed to realize and when he confronted me I told him the truth of my feelings. From then on we started to court in secret and eloped the week before Killian's marriages

When we returned, we faced a lot of opposition, but the only person who stood by us was Nathan. Soon the drama behind our marriage was old news and we were able to move on with our lives."

I knew not every couple is the same, yet I yearned for an ounce of what Killian and Alina have. Their relationship and marriage are truly magical.

"That's a beautiful story. I'm glad you guys have each other. I nearly broke when you were banished, but now I'm thankful you have such a beautiful life and a loving husband."

"Soon you will have yours. Just give Nathaniel some time and I promise everything will fall in its place."

"My life has been nothing but a nightmare and it won't change now. I have learned to live with it and adjust myself for it."

"He loves you, but just won't admit it. When I told him of your imprisonment, I saw the way he stopped everything to save you. He didn't rest for a moment and travelled for a whole day straight to save you. No man will do that unless he is with the woman he loves."

"Until I hear the words from his mouth, I will never know. I professed my love for him just a few hours prior to when he admitted he felt nothing for me in the court."

"He is acting like an arsehole and when the time comes he will be regretting it. How is Alasia, how are my parents?"

"The honest answer is I do not know."

I started spilling everything from the abuse to the assaults that transpired at the hands of my stepfamily. Sobs wracked out of both of us and we comforted each other in hugs.

I helped her make dinner and we talked more light-hearted subjects such as about Max and the overseas trip from Alasia to Nordfjord. The sun had begun to set and I knew I should not further delay my arrival at the castle. I began dusting the flour off my dress and hugged Alina with a see you soon, rather than a goodbye.

"Do you have to leave now?"

" Do not fret, we will see each other soon. I should leave before I'm accused of adultery by my mother-in-law."

I joked half-heartedly. I wouldn't be surprised if she accuses my loyalty as a wife to her son.

"I know Genevine is unkind, but Nathaniel is nothing like that. Give him a chance to explain. You guys are meant to be and I can see the love you have for each other in your eyes."

I nod my head and give her a final hug before silently closing the door. Just then Killian, Tommy, and baby Maximus were arriving. Bidding them farewell, I walked back to my husband's home.

Home is where love, comfort, and security is. A few days ago I would have felt this as home, my husband as my home, but now it was just a castle that I merely reside in.

The castle gates were a few houses away and the guards looked surprised to see me when they opened the gates. The sun has completely set and the night wind caused goosebumps to rise on my bare skin.

Thunder boomed just as I entered the castle and I flinched from the loud noise. The rain started pouring once again and I ran inside, away from the cool spring weather.

I walked through the doors, accepting the warmth from the indoors. I didn't see Nathaniel nor Genevine. A part of me was relieved, but a small part of me wanted to see him. I sighed before walking into the private chambers.

I changed into my nightgown and wrapped my body in a warm blanket before lighting up the fireplace. I warmed up my hands and snuggled into the blanket, while the sound of the rain calmed my soul.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Merry Christmas!