Chapter 21 - Departure Time

Milo and Judah returned to the McBride's house to await Judah's travel itinerary. They told the family about the situation before going up to Milo's room to lie on Milo's bed holding each other while they had the chance. They didn't say much. There wasn't much to say. Judah was leaving. Nothing either of them said would change that.

Judah knew that Milo was upset. Milo knew that Judah had to go. It wouldn't help either of them to cry or lament what might have been. They could do that tomorrow when they were alone. Apart.

For now, they just wanted to be together in peace.

The room steadily grew darker as the day wore on into the evening, past sunset.

The buzzing of Judah's phone in his pocket startled them both. He took it out and opened his texts. "Looks like I've got a flight."

"When?" Milo asked, his voice barely even a whisper.

"In the morning. At seven." Judah looked up from the phone to meet Milo's eyes. The light from the phone made his eyes glisten.

Milo sucked in a quivering breath. The tears he'd been holding back broke through his defenses.

Judah pulled Milo into his arms and held him so tightly. Milo could feel him shaking a bit. And occasionally, he would sniffle.

At some point, Milo fell asleep. He awoke to shuffling sounds in the dark.

He felt incredibly cold and quickly realized that Judah was gone.

"Judah!" he called out, afraid he'd missed seeing Judah off.

"I'm right here, baby." Judah sat on the bed and stroked Milo's arm. "Go back to sleep. It's still really early. It's not even five yet."

Milo reached over to switch on the reading light attached to the top of his bed. He grabbed Judah's hand and sat up to wrap his other arm around Judah's neck. "I don't want to waste any more time on sleep."

Judah kissed his neck. "I know."

Milo pulled back and wiped his eyes. They were burning, irritated from all the tears he had shed earlier. He stared into Judah's beautiful blue-green eyes—more blue than green at the moment. With his heart pounding like he'd just ran a marathon, Milo said, "Before you go, all I want is you."

Judah examined him, furrowing his brows. "Like—"

Milo suspected Judah knew what he meant, but just in case, he clarified: "Like you and me together. Just once. Since we have to miss our special night. I don't care about being in a fancy hotel, or having this elaborate date. I just want to be with you."

"I want to be with you, too."

Judah put a hand on Milo's face and leaned in to kiss him.

After a very intense kiss, Judah pulled away to take off his shirt. Milo took the opportunity to remove his shirt as well before Judah returned to press his lips to Milo's again. Milo dragged Judah down onto the bed with him, letting his hands roam across Judah's back.

Judah moved to kiss Milo's neck, his shoulder, his chest, before returning to his lips. He kept breaking away to stare into Milo's eyes. He seemed so enthralled by Milo. It gave Milo a thrill every time.

An alarm woke Milo from a deep slumber. For a moment, he wondered if he'd only dreamed what happened with Judah. Then Judah pulled him back against his chest and kissed his shoulder. "It's time, baby."

Milo turned over to look at Judah. He simply nodded, feeling the prickling of fresh tears rising.

They quickly got up and dressed before someone could walk in on them.