29.

Cedric Diggory: Champion of the Dark Lord?

HOGWARTS LEADS following the second Triwizard Task. With an unprecedented double first place, Hogwarts has managed to all but secure the victory for the first time since 1792!

Perhaps a publicity stunt to ensure the popularity of this highly controversial tournament, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, has declared two school champions: The-Boy-Who-Lived, Harry Potter; and Cedric Diggory.

Harry Potter, with a total of 85 points, stands among his peers - beside Durmstrang Champion, Victor Krum, the youngest professional seeker in over three centuries; and Fleur Delacour, a captivating half-Veela from Beauxbatons.

Among the three extraordinary Champions is the forgettable and easily overlooked fourth Champion, Cedric Diggory.

Diggory scrapped a third place in the first task. As such, Cedric's first place (on a technicality, it should be mentioned) in the second task, has come as a shock for those eagerly following the results of the Triwizard Tournament. Though he appears as nothing more than a typical unassuming student — this Hufflepuff champion may be more sinister than he appears.

Cedric Diggory surfacing first with his hostage would have understandably been shocking enough on it's own, but it was what came after that rang the alarms on the dark secret hidden in the Diggory Family.

Cedric's hostage, his feeble-minded, blind younger sister, Fiona Diggory, emerged from the icy lake screaming about death and the return of You-Know-Who.

Fiona, as it happens, may be no stranger to the dark arts. Suffering from a sever case of retinitis pigmentosa (an uncommon muggle illness), lost her eyesight in her childhood. Despite the fact that wizards and witches are largely immune to muggle sicknesses, her eyesight could not be repaired. This forces the question of what type of dark magic took her sight? And who is the Diggory family protecting by not admitting this?

After the events at the Quidditch World Cup, it cannot be denied that dark wizards still exist among us. Suspiciously, Amos Diggory (father to Cedric), was among the ministry members who reported on the scene after the Dark Mark emerged.

Formally, a culprit has not been convicted for the egregious crime. Is this the case of a ministry cover up? Has nepotism allowed a potentially dangerous dark wizard to evade justice? Dark magic would certainly explain Diggory's startling lead.

"Rook to H-8" Fiona muttered into her palm.

"And how the bleeding hell am I suppose to do that?" A guttural voice growled at her from the chessboard. Fiona sat back, trying to recall the layout of the board.