8 : Shield of Hope

CHAPTER EIGHT
━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

CHAPTER EIGHT ━━━━━━ 🌻 ━━━━━━

This morning, Mae never takes a glimpse of day's light.

Almost just when her tears dry, when she let out soft chuckles from Peter's goofiness (and also his efforts to make her smile), Mae tries to slumber soundly this time, holding belief over her father's speedy recovery. Not even ten minutes later, her phone begins to buzz— and even though her ringtone is soft-sounding, to her ears, her phone rings frantically.

Her sister is on the other end of the fall. Finally, she thinks to herself, before sliding the green icon on her phone screen. She never even gets the chance to greet her sister as Sarah intervenes with impatience. "Are you awake?"

Sarah's voice is tired. Mae frowns, her heart pounding. "Yes," She responds. "Any news on dad?"

Mae can listen to her sister's heavy sigh, making her more delirious than she already feels. "He's fine Mae, but ..."

Mae's forehead crumples, her heartbeats echoing in her ears. She can feel saline tears lingering in her eyes for the second time that night. "But what?" Mae croaks.

She hears a shuffle from Sarah's end, and then, her mother's voice— mellow but firm. "Mae," she calls, and Mae suddenly realises how much she actually misses her family. "Are you doing okay? I'm so sorry I couldn't reach you earlier, darling. I really am. How are you, Mae?"

Clear tears lament over Maya's voice and Mae softens upon hearing it, but only for a mere moment. "That's okay, mom. The only thing that matters in you're here now." Mae truthfully responds.

Maya exhales with relief, as though she's letting something heavy off of her chest. Maybe she is. "Okay," she says, her voice steadier. "I need you to get down to the entrance in ten minutes. We're gonna come pick you up, Mae."

Mae furrows her eyebrows, "Pick me up?" She asks confusedly, sure that she misheard her mother. When Maya confirms, Mae's eyes automatically widens with visible shock. "And go where?" The range in her voice rises, making her surprise more obvious.

There's a pause from Maya's end, and Mae can already sense the burden in what's coming next. "S.H.I.E.L.D."

Mae doesn't even make an effort to restrict her loud gasp— her shock and disbelief gliding effortlessly. "S.H.I.E.L.D?" She repeats in disbelief, not listening to Maya's confirmation. Mae's tears disappeared for the moment, just like that. She had always, always wanted to visit the place where her mother works as a secret agent, a place where Maya Evans is hailed as hero. However, those wishes were never hers to be fulfilled, she learned a while later. That has been Sarah's right. And Mae had accepted to live with that long before, even if it stings her. (But then again, that isn't the only thing that continually stings. Her scorching bones are a constant reminder of that).