Chapter 50: The Final Equation IV

THE FINAL COUNTDOWN: Four days before the finale!

LORELEI

DREAMHILL. WHAT a beautiful yet strange name for this cruise ship. I understood the "dream" part, but what's with the "hill"? It could have been Dreamboat or Dreamyacht. But the mystery was soon solved. One of the crew told me that the "hill" part had a symbolic origin. The owner of the "Dream" cruise line wanted to honor his late wife by naming his most prestigious ship after her: Hillary.

Para ngang panaginip ang pagsakay sa barko na 'to. Maliban sa amenities na mae-experience namin, priceless ang tanawin mula sa deck. I stood near the bow, feeling the cold sea breeze brushing through my skin. The orange sunset clashed with the cerulean sea, creating a sight to behold. I tried to take a photo, but seeing it with my very eyes was way better. This spectacular scenery was already worth the money of the Emerson and Mendez family.

"Wow! Ang ganda ng sunset!" Jamie put her hands together as her eyes sparkled with joy. Parang nakakita siya ng regalo na matagal na niyang inaasahan. I had the same reaction. No words in the English language could perfectly describe the scene before us. "Ang gandang kuhanan 'to ng picture! Tara, guys! Picture tayo!"

Ngumiti ako sa kanya. I was happy that she's back to her normal self. Mukhang nakatulong sa kanya ang therapy sessions kay Dr. Theresa Pierre. I had no idea what they talked about inside the therapist's office. It could be about her late brother. It could be about repressing some of her memories. But as long as it could help her overcome her suicidal tendencies, I was fine with it.

"Tara na, Loki dear! Minsan lang tayo makakapag-picture nang ganito kaganda ang sunset!" Jamie insisted, pulling Loki's right arm. Halos i-drag na niya ito malapit sa bow.

Knowing Loki who doesn't like his pictures being taken, he'd resist to the idea. He doesn't appreciate the marvelous surrounding around us. Kung hindi ko pa siya pinagbantaang ipapabuhat kay Alistair mula sa kanyang cabin, hindi pa siya lalabas dito sa deck.

Alistair leaned against the handrail behind him and folded his arms. The sunset highlighted that smile that he always wore. He was sparkling too. We both watched as Jamie struggled to bring Loki closer to us.

"It's nice to see Jamie being Jamie again," he said, beaming at the two. Sandaling nagawi sa kanya ang tingin ko. "I hope she stays that way. Mas magandang nakikita siyang nakangiti palagi at puno ng energy. She won't be our Jamie if she's not like that."

Tumango ako sabay sulyap sa dalawang tila naghahabulan na parang mga bata. "Sana nga. Iba ang feeling kapag wala siya sa sarili niya. Remember when we were abducted by Cedric and his goons, and brought to a warehouse? Ibang-iba siya matapos ang insidenteng 'yon. Kung hindi pa namin siya binisita ni Loki, hindi agad siya babalik sa dati niyang sarili."

I still don't know what Loki whispered in her ear when we paid her a visit, but there's no doubt that it was effective. In the blink of an eye, the color returned to Jamie's dull face.