Chapter Thirty Nine

I blinked my eyes, trying to adjust my vision in the dark.

I was wide awake by now, and Devin stood there, hovering over us, aiming the gun at me and Castle, "Stop harboring any illusions that I won't shoot because I will."

"Why are you doing this?!" I asked.

Before I could comprehend what was happening, he grabbed my arm and forced me out of bed, pulling me taut against him. I yelped and flailed, but he had a chokehold on me, the gun now digging into my jaw.

You couldn't tell what Castle was thinking. His face was blank. He looked resigned and tired. Calmly, he said, "put the gun down, Devin, and let her go."

"What was it you said before that accident, Castle? Oh right, I remember. You said you would ruin me! Me! Devin Montgomery! You son of a bitch! How does this feel?"

"Don't be stupid." Castle said in a dangerously low voice, "If you put the gun down, I promise we can forget this twisted revenge. I'll leave town if you want. You can have all of this. Just...let her go."

"Fuck you!" Devin spat at him, and chuckled, "she's coming with me."

He pushed me towards the door by force, almost making me trip against the carpeted floor.

My heart jack-hammered against my chest.

This is it then...

This is how it's finally going to end...

He jabbed the gun against my neck. "don't try and act smart, Millie, or I'll shoot and your brains will paint these walls and I really don't want to do that. The wallpapers are fucking expensive."

"I'm walking! Stop hitting me!" I yelled at him.

A silhouette was visible on the upper level of the floor. I looked up long enough to catch a glimpse of Dayana.

"Devin! Stop!" she screamed from above. "Let her go! I've talked to—

"Dayana, stay there! Do not come down or I swear I will kill her right this very second!"

She was kneeling against the banister on the floor, staring at us with haunted green eyes. I couldn't see anything because we were going further down. "Devin, please..." she said helplessly.

Chandler had materialized on the floor wearing his bear print pajamas. He saw his brother pointing the gun at me. Fear was clear on his face. "Where are you taking Millie?" he asked in a soft voice.

"Go to bed, Chandler!" Devin said.

"Don't take her..." his voice wavered.

Was Chandler going to cry? I never thought the brat would ever cry for me.

Castle was right behind me, following Devin as he dragged us out of the mansion like a pair of kitchen rats.

I remembered everything that led up to this moment. Running away from my uncle's home, taking up the job, marrying Castle. Tears clouded my vision as I realized all was for nothing.

All that planning and Castle regaining his memories had led to Devin finally losing it.

Devin would pull us outside, shoot me first, and then Castle. Or he would shoot Castle first and then me. I didn't want to live if Castle would not survive this. It made no sense to go on living without him.

There was no Millie without Castle.

Devin brought his mouth close to my ear, his breath fanned my cheek, "if you hadn't been so taken to him, maybe I would have let you live, but I had seen it. Your fascination for Castle the second you met him. You were not supposed to fall in love, you were supposed to notice me!"