36. INSULT TO INJURY

Chapter 36: INSULT TO INJURY

*********************************

Alex's POV;

************

Jensen looked disheveled.

His tie was loosely hanging around his collar, his coat was thrown somewhere as he stood in his firm fitted waist-coat that was creased and his hair was a mess.

His eyes had bags under them and he looked like he hadn't slept all night. He only ever looked like this at the end of some days when he overworked himself and stayed past his normal schedule, and even then it was never this bad.

It was barely the beginning of the day and he looked like he had been in a scuffle with a bunch of headache-inducing papers.

He looked at me blankly when I entered. There was something in his eyes that didn't settle well with me and I didn't know what was going on.

"You don't look so good," I told him with an undertone of concern.

He chuckled, without a hint of joy as he looked at me and then away. "That's the last thing I'm worried about."

He picked up his phone and called his secretary, "Kate please hold my calls for a little while." He kept the receiver down and then looked up at me.

"How did this happen?" I asked worriedly.

"I don't know, you tell me..." He scoffed and I frowned at the way he was talking to me.

"I'm so gullible aren't I, believing every little thing you told me like a fool." He said with an edge to his voice and I was genuinely taken aback with everything that was going on.

"Wh-what are you trying to say?" I asked, confused as hell.

He ignored my question, and instead asked, "where were you yesterday?"

I breathed and considered my words before speaking, "I was home like I told you."

He scoffed as he looked up and kinda talked to himself "Sure. I don't even know what I'm expecting anymore."

"Jensen, I don't understand you, what are you talking about?" I frowned.

"Did you see the news? Do you know what's going on right now?" He asked harshly.

"I didn't get a chance to-"

"You didn't get a chance? Of course in the midst of all the cover-up how could you get a chance?" He mocked.

I frowned at his accusatory tone, "Wh-what do you mean Jensen?" What's going on, nothing is making sense right now.

"I mean this..." He pushed his laptop in front of me that had the surveillance footage of me entering inside his office with Morgan. I closed my eyes.

"What is the meaning of this Alex?" He sounded angry.

I was too shocked to say anything for a moment. "I- this- it's not what you think." Shit among the security breach and the shareholders' mayhem, this couldn't have been worse timing.

"The security breach was traced back to your IP address, so you better tell me what you were doing in my office without my permission and what the hell did you take from here." He asked with a calm that was deceptive.

My IP address? That's impossible. "You, think I have something to do with everything that's happening? Don't- don't you trust me?" I frowned.

"Trust? I fucking want to trust you okay, but it's not a luxury I can afford right now." Jensen sighed like he was tired, "All I know is that there was a security breach, some confidential information was leaked and whatever is circulating in the news right now is a mixture of facts and fiction, my company's credibility is being questioned so forgive me if I don't really want to believe someone that looks like a suspect."