In the Beginning

"In the beginning, Eru Ilúvatar created the Ainur. Kindled with the Flame Imperishable, each Ainur had come from a different part of his mind."

The Fellowship and I sat around a fire, silent and enthralled, listening carefully as Legolas recited the tale. The Elf sat on a log directly in front of me, and the hobbits and I perched on the grass, eyes focused.

Legolas had begun the tale as soon as we had finished eaten and were settled: his bow and arrows lay beside him on the ground, and he leaned forward, eyes flashing, feeding off of our excitement.

Gandalf sat a way off from us, his back toward a tree, and Aragorn and Boromir sat on another tree behind me and the four hobbits, with Gimli muttering to himself in a corner, meat flying from his lips.

"In order to better their understanding, he showed them his thought in the form of music, and taught them how to make it. Though at first they only sang alone, and in small groups, watching each other instilled them with the knowledge of each other and the mind of Ilúvatar."

"Should I be taking notes?" Pippin whispered to me

"Shh!" Sam commanded

"The harmony of the Ainur steadily increased, and Eru brought them together, knowing that they were ready. He told them they would weave a new song, much greater than before and that they would be able to weave their thoughts in, since they had been made with the Flame Imperishable and therefore had the skill of creativity."

I continued to watch Legolas, for once not caught up in his blue eyes.

"And they were so overwhelmed by what was to come, they bowed in reverence and wonder."

"What happened next?" Pippin asked

Gandalf threw him a look.

"Sorry."

Legolas smiled fondly at the hobbit.

"The Ainur began to fashion Eru's music, and their voices, as soft as harps, as hard as trumpets and riveting as choirs, passed beyond hearing into the depths of height and sound. Their music filled Eru's residence of the Timeless halls, even the Void, so much so that it was unlike itself. Even Eru was pleased."

Legolas' voice took on a different tone.

"But soon problems arose. Faults entered the music due an Ainu called Melkor, who had become different to his brothers and sisters because of his wanderings in the Void. His thoughts clashed with Eru's theme, because he wanted to increase the power of his part. He had an inate desire to have creatures of his own, and fill the emptiness of the Void with them, which was not Eru's will."

"The discord lead to dismay of the other Ainur and some faltered and others atunned their singing to his song. The Music grew turbulent by the second, as if it had become a fierce and unyielding storm, until Eru intervened, raising his left hand and to some, it looked as though he was actually smiling. And after this, a new theme began."

I looked to thr company around me, all who seemed to be on the edge of their seats, including Gimli, though I could tell he would be embarrassed if anyone took notice.

"A new theme arose, both alike and different which Melkor again sewed his discord into. Manwë, another of the Ainur rose against him, taking the lead of Eru's theme, but Melkor won. Many Ainur halted their singing, dismayed. Eru rose from his seat again, raised his right hand, and another theme began."

"This one was completely different to the last two. It began softly, amid the chaos of the second, and was like the rippling of soft sweet notes. It grew in stature and magnitude, until two different songs were being made. The former filled with immense sorrow which gave it immeasurable beauty, and the latter proud and roaring, stealing the greatest notes of the first, and weaving it into it's awful tune, but it could not overcome the first. The strife caused shaking in Eru's dwelling place and the Void beyond, until Eru stood, raised his hands, and with a chord deeper than the abyss, higher than the firmament, the music ceased."

I found my breathing had increased, and I was clutching the stalks of grass in anticipation. Legolas watched the hobbits and I and smiled, pleased at our reactions.

"Ilúvatar spoke to the Ainur about their music, and rebuked Melkor, who hid his fury and shame. He warned them of the consequences of open discord and showing them what they created, shouted 'Behold, your Music!' The Ainur saw a vision of what their music had created, a world-

"Arda." Merry breathed

"That's right." He smiled "A world amidst the Void, but not part of it. Each witnessed the history of this place, their part in its creation, and even how Melkor's discord had contributed to its glory."

"But the Ainur were truly amazed when they were shown children. The Children of Ilúvatar."

Gimli scoffs.

"They had not been a part of Eru's plan that had been foreseen, sung into being during the Third Theme, and no one dared to contribute to their creation.

"The Vision was ended abruptly, none seeing how it would end. Some saw what would have happened until the Dominion of Men, but all were left restless and longing, which Eru perceived. The Ainur wanted the world to be as real as they were, despite its flaws, so Eru decreed: 'Ëa! Let these things Be!'

"And the Flame Imperishable was sent off by him into the Universe, and far in the Void, a light shone bright and brilliant, and so, thus began the world as we know it."

Legolas' eyes lost some of their fire, but what remained still burned strong. He observed us carefully, tilting his head to the side and leaning back.

"Woah." I remarked "That was so...

"What happened next?" Sam asked

"Did the Valar help make us?" Frodo added.

"That," Gandalf interjected "Is another story, for yet another day."

"Aww." Pippin huffed as Frodo and Sam got up, moving to their respective sleeping areas. "I was really enjoying that."

"So was I." Merry added, "But that Melkor guy seems like trouble."

I silently agreed with him as the camp prepared to settle down for the night, Legolas on watch, planning on swapping with Aragorn in the night. I took out my cloth and settled my head on my pack, trying my best to keep my mind from the tale in an effort to let fatigue consume me, but it was all futile. Into the silence of the night, watching the stars above in the heavens, I thought about the past. I thought about mine.

It was not the best, it was not the worst. But, ever since the age of fifteen, a sense of detachment had crept up upon me. I felt as if I had been born into a world that I was not designed for. Now that I was here, it felt like some sort of reunion, a homecoming.

The story of Arda, all it does is just solidify that. It just shows me that we are all binded, connected, in one way or another. In this moment, it's crazy but I feel accepted, loved even, if I was so bold to dare to.

I just wondered how long it would last.