Just A Dream

Before we left our camp, Gandalf let me dress the cub's wound. I sat down on a log, and it flopped over my legs, its mauled left hind leg staining my trousers.

"Sam...have you got any sausages left?" I asked him.

"No. But I can whip you up a couple."

"Can you do it quickly?"

The hobbit nods, moving over to re-light the dying embers of the fire.

"What do you need me to do Raina?" Pippin asks me

"Can you get me some water? And Frodo, would you mind passing me that ointment and a cloth."

The two hobbits move to retrieve the things asked for, and I roll up my sleeves, ignoring for the meantime the prominent scars that lace my wrists. I can put that aside for him.

They pass them to me, and I receive them with a grateful smile.

"Thanks."

I stroke the wolf carefully.

"Its okay boy. I'm just gonna take a look at your leg."

"He'll need a muzzle first, Raina." Aragorn warns

"What's a muzzle?"

"Something to tie around his mouth to stop him from biting." Informs Legolas, appearing next to me with some thin rope.

"That seems a bit inhumane."

"It doesn't hurt him, nor does it stop him from breathing."

I nod.

"As long as you can promise he'll be fine."

The elf chuckles lightly at my ardent love and indestructible bond toward this wolf cub.

"I can promise."

Legolas sits beside me, which makes my palms dabble in sweat and my heart begin to race, but for the sake of my cub I ignore it, stroking it gently as Legolas approaches him with the rope.

The wolf snarls at him, but Legolas holds out his hand, and he sniffs, before licking gently.

"Sam, where's that sausage?" He asked the hobbit

"Coming."

Sam brought over a sausage, which Legolas used to gain the wolf's attention. He set it down on the floor, and while the cub was preoccupied, slipped the rope under his mouth, waited for him to finish, and secured the bond.

He tried to take it off at first, and whined and scratched in discomfort, but after a few more strokes and scratches behind the ear, he was soon relaxed and I was ready.

"Now.." I breathed heavily. This was, my first time, dressing a wound after all, and..well, I was asleep when Elrond did mine so I can't honestly say I know how. "Time to dress the wound."

I nodded, probably seemingly confident toward the others.

"Does anyone know how to dress a wound?"

Legolas chuckled, and from the corner of my eye I could see Aragorn smirk.

"I can help you, if you'd like." Legolas offered.

I nodded, my heat regaining their 1000 degrees temperature. Legolas crouched on the other side of me, gently moving the wolf's leg and eliciting a short moan.

"Sorry boy." I replied, stroking it.

"Hold him steady." He replies.

Legolas take the bottle of water, wets the cloth and rubs the wound gently. The wolf howls and tries to run in pain. I grip him tightly, my glasses sliding off.