Chapter 6

Elsie never showed up at dinner that day, and even though Alice and Marlene said she was just tired, James knew something was wrong. I should've gone after her when class was over. I guess I'll have to wait until after dinner.

James sighed as he remembered a thought from earlier in the day.

"Lads," he started in a hushed tone, "I have a new target that we can prank tonight."

He and Sirius simultaneously smirked, while Remus simply looked up from his book and Peter smiled excitedly.

"Well then Prongsie, who shall it be today?" Sirius asked, slyly leaning towards the boy in the glasses.

"Rory McLaggen," James states confidently.

All 4 boys agreed, knowing this was someone Elsie wouldn't mind them playing a prank on. But, as they were deciding on what they could do to him a voice interrupted their thoughts.

"As much as I would love to see that happen, you do realize that he has detention with Elsie tonight, right?" Alice spoke after hearing who they wanted to Prank.

"What!?" all 4 boys announced at the same time.

"James, you were in class when McGonagall gave it to them. Don't you remember?" Lily, sitting who sat across from Alice, asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Erm.. no? I guess I wasn't paying attention," James said while scratching the back of his neck, trying to remember what happened in class. Maybe I shouldn't have been staring at Lily the whole time. Wait, what am I saying? She's Lily Evans, of course I should've been staring at her.

"I was too busy staring at you, my Lily-flower," he winked. Lily rolled her eyes and scoffed at the boy.

"Well we could always wait until tomorrow night," Remus pointed out with a shrug.

"Wrong again," Lily stated pointing her finger at Remus, "James and I will be patrolling tomorrow night."

As head boy and girl, Lily and James, along with the prefects, had to assign themselves a time to patrol the corridors after curfew. They were on duty every Tuesday and Thursday from 10pm-12am. Prefects were evenly spread throughout the rest of the week.

"The day after?" Peter asked. Everyone seemed to agree and nod their heads with that.

After dinner, the group of boys headed back to the Gryffindor tower, while the girls went back to the head girl room so they wouldn't wake up Elsie. The marauders went up to their dorm to plan out the prank on McLaggen without any disruptions.

It was about 9:45 when Elsie ran into McLaggen on her way to McGonagall's class for detention. After his snarky remark, they walked in complete silence until they got to the room.

"Come in, you will be doing lines tonight," McGonagall announced as the two walked in.

"Why Minnie, you are looking quite lovely today. I must say, I love your hat. Is it new?" Elsie winked towards the teacher that she saw as another motherly figure.

"Thank you, Ms. Figg. I do appreciate the attempt, but you won't be getting out of detention tonight," she held back a smirk as she spoke to the young girl. Elsie pouted and sat down at a desk, Rory taking the one behind her.

"50 lines of 'I will not disrupt class' shall do it. Now, I have to leave to help Professor Slughorn with something, but I'll be coming back to check up on the both of you. You may leave when you're finished," Professor McGonagall announced while walking out of the room.

Elsie was grateful that they had to do lines, rather than some other sort of punishment that involved talking with McLaggen. She really wasn't in the mood to deal with him, and started her lines immediately.