18

Judd

"I'm ready to shit my pants," I sigh out, my dad laughing at me. My nerves are at an all time high as I sit in the living room, Lexi with my sister and mom in the kitchen. I was told to leave, and now I sit here, anxious about what they're saying about me.

"I was in the same position you were, and believe me, it's just a right of passage," he tells me, and I glance back over at them. They're talking quietly, surely so I don't hear anything. I really hope they're not telling stories about me when growing up. I never worried about my stupidity until now.

"Should I go over there?" I ask, gripping the edge of the couch when I start hearing laughter. My dad just shakes his head.

"Lord knows your mom is telling stories about me too so you're fine," he says, my head lifting to look at him.

"Just relax. She hasn't run yet," he says, my hand running through my hair. It's getting fairly long; I should cut it. But I love it so goddamn much when Lexi runs her fingers through it.

My dad and I watch the game on the television, then Hadley joins.

"What did you say to her?" I immediately ask and she laughs. My dad gets up and leaves me with my sister, her body taking a seat next to me.

"I didn't say much, but she laughed at everything I said," she shrugs, a smirk forming on her lips.

"Fucker," I sigh, and she laughs. I don't say anything to her and I look up to see my parents talking to her.

"Maybe dad's telling her about the time you-" I get up before she even says anything, my feet walking towards them.

"Perfect timing, Judd take these to the table," my mom says, and I sigh. But Lexi looks at me with a beaming smile on her face. At the sight alone, I feel more assured and I follow my mom's orders.

We sit at the table together and Lexi holds my hand under the table once we finish eating, my leg jumping with nerves. I've never had dinner with my family when I bring a girl home. They never asked for them to join, but they did with Lexi.

The only person I told I love her is my dad. I trust him, and I'm starting to think he told my mom. And my mom definitely told Hadley.

"Thank you so much for dinner. It was excellent," Lexi says, and my mom tells her that she helped.

"Lexi, can I talk to you about something?" Hadley asks, and my eyes shoot daggers towards her.

"Absolutely," Lexi smiles, getting up. The two go off to what I assume is her room and I look at my dad.

"Go tell her she can't have people in her room," I say, and he laughs.

"That rule only applies to guys. I don't think your girlfriend is going to do anything," he says, and my mom grabs my arm.

"Lexi loves you Judd. A lot. And it means a lot that she wants to talk to your sister. It's a good sign," she tells me, my jaw clenching. I do not like the idea of my sister becoming friends with Lexi. She's going to fill my girl's head with shit thoughts about me.

"I'm so embarrassed," I admit and they smile.

"You weren't there when my sister and mom absolutely blasted my life to your mom," my dad says, and my mom lets out an amused laugh.

"Consider yourself lucky that didn't happen," he explains, and my mom just smiles bringing the wine glass to her lips.

"What happens in the kitchen, stays in the kitchen boys," she says, and I groan. My head rolls back and I run my hand over my face.

The two girls return and they sit, my eyes looking between the two of them before I glare at Hadley.

"If you keep looking at me like that, you might explode," Hadley says, my eyes rolling.

"It's okay, Judd. Just girl talk," Lexi whispers, her hand resting on my thigh. I'm quick to grab her hand and we talk for a while longer.

After we say goodbye to each other, Lexi and I get in the truck and I lean over. She gives me a kiss and I start driving.

"Just tell me what they said to you," I blurt out, and she starts laughing.

"Judd, in all honesty, they didn't say much about you other than how happy they are that we're together. It was girl talk," she says, and I grab her hand.

"What did Hadley say to you?" I wonder, and she squeezes my hand.

"I swore I wasn't gonna tell you," she says, and I look at her. She's got a cute little smile playing on her lips and I look back at the road.

"Please? I won't say anything," I reason, trying to learn what was said about me.

"Judd, your sister's been talking to a guy and she wanted to talk about it with another girl," she says, and I feel my older brother instincts come in.

"She's not allowed to date anyone," I state, and Lexi squeezes my hand.

"She's 18. And she's old enough to start dating. We both dated at younger ages than that," she tries to reason.

"I don't care. Hadley is too good for all those fuckers," I say and Lexi puts her other hand over mine.

"Look, this is exactly why she didn't want to say anything to you. She knows you care a lot about her, but trust me when I say that the only reason she didn't talk to you about it was because she was scared you'd be overprotective," she explains, and I sigh. It's true; as much as Hadley and I fight, I care a lot about her and will do everything I can to keep her safe.

Just as I'll do everything I can to keep Lexi safe.