62| With You

Another day comes, and here I am, standing beside the bed as I watch Jake sleep

Another day comes, and here I am, standing beside the bed as I watch Jake sleep. He hasn't woken up, except for a brief moment last night.

I sigh, caressing his blonde hair that feels so soft against my skin.

This morning, I'm not in my hospital gown anymore -- I can proudly say that I'm fully recovered. My body still feels a little sore in some parts, but I don't need to stay in bed as Jake does.

I'm dressed in a sweater and a pair of jeans, ready to leave, my bag slung across my shoulder. I smile sadly, staring at Jake one last time before walking off toward the door.

At the corner of the room stands a table on which we keep the packages and gifts sent by people who wish him well, among whom are our office mates.

Sarah, George and Liam plan to pay a visit this weekend.

When I open the door, I see Veronica walking toward this room, speaking on the phone.

"That's great. I'll see you soon, sweetheart." With that said, she hangs up and sighs.

When she notices me, a warm smile touches her lips.

She halts in front of me. "Melanie is coming here. She's taking a flight from Perth today. She's been worried sick about Jake."

Veronica looks like she can't wait to see her daughter -- she must be missing her so much. I also can't wait to see Melanie again.

Then her gaze darts on the bag slung across my shoulder, and her eyes widen in surprise as she realizes that I'm about to leave.

"Lais? Where are you going?"

"I want to visit my mother's graveyard." I smile.

I've been wanting to do this since the moment I step my foot in this city, but I haven't got the chance to do so.

Worry crosses her expression. "Alone? Will that be okay?"

I nod. "I'll be okay. I'm healed, and I'll be back before lunchtime."

Besides, it should be safe. Tuck and all of his friends are already behind bars. I can finally walk in this city without having to worry about getting caught by him.

Still, the look on her face tells me that she's still not convinced.

But I need to do this. I haven't visited Mom's grave for years.

The hopeful look on my face makes her finally says, "Okay. Let me inform my driver so that--"

"Please, it's okay," I decline her offer. "I'm alright. Really. The graveyard is not that far, and there are already many cabs lining up at the lobby downstairs," I assure her, taking her hands in mine.

Jake and his family have already done so much for me, and I don't need to be pampered like a princess.

And she sighs, knowing that she has to give in.