31 | OLD FRIEND

My eyes focus on a woman who feels like someone from a past life; someone who is only a story; someone who seems like she's fiction, rather than fact

And yet, sitting there and seeing her, seven years later, I can see that she's real.

She's a real person.

Not just a ghost who haunts me.

She's smiling.

Her blonde hair is a lot shorter now; it doesn't even touch her shoulders.

I can recognize her, but only her face. I don't know that person anymore.

She's walking.

I don't know for how long I watch her.

She is walking beside a man.

It takes a while for me to register him.

He's taller than her, wearing a casual t-shirt and has short dark hair.

My brain doesn't make any connections or deductions. It just takes in all the new data that it's getting.

The two of them walk towards a bench and sit down.

It's only when they stop moving that I realize I'm frowning. I feel a little confused.

"His name is Justin Miller." Elliot speaks softly. "He's an accountant. He and Lily have been married for about two years now. They live here, in this city."

I turn to him.

I want to be angry, but I don't think I've earned that right yet. It doesn't stop me from feeling the anger inside.

"Why did you bring me here?" I ask Elliot, through clenched teeth.

He nods his head in their direction. "Look at her."

"I did, Eli."

"Again."

"Tell me why."

Elliot sighs, tiredly. "Just look at her, Marco."

So, I do.

As they sit on that bench, Justin takes Lily's hand and she looks at him and smiles. He says something to her, she laughs and says something back.

She lays her head on his shoulder.

"What do you see, Marco?" Elliot asks.

I turn and frown at him. "What the hell does that mean, Eli?"

"When you look at her, what do you see?" he questions.

Shaking my head, I shrug. "I don't know. A person?"

"What kind of person?"

I give him a look. "What do you mean what kind of person, Elliot? A normal person."