Chapter 1

Things had gotten more silent after Wilbur died. I found it strange, not having him follow me around like a lost puppy. In his place, I had Tommy. Tommy had gotten exiled, so I went with him to his new, "permanent" home. Tommy seemed ecstatic to still have me with him. I noticed the bags that appeared under his eyes and decided to question him about it later.

    I found it concerning when people would visit. Tommy had seemed like he missed multiple human interactions. I frowned when the taller boy stumbled over to me. "Hey, (N/n)--do you think that they hate me?" My frown deepened further, and I shook my head. I heard Tommy's small sigh of relief. "So, you don't hate me?" My eyes widened.

    "Tom, why would I ever hate you? You're like a little brother to me--one that is built different and taller than me." I saw Tommy give me a small smile at my quip. It warmed my heart to see that he was still himself. I gently grabbed his hand. "C'mon Toms, let's go try and find some cool stuff in the mines." Tommy nodded and let me lead him down the mines he tunneled through.

    We came to a halt when we reached the lava-filled room. I smiled and pulled out my enchanted netherite pickaxe. I'd given Tommy one of my old ones since he'd lost his things many times. We carefully walked through the corridors, and my eyes widened when seeing the precious gemstone that is diamond. "Toms, there are some diamonds over here!" I heard him shuffle closer and watched his shadow looming over me. I felt myself smile.

    I still remember the days when Tommy would be the one that would cheer me up--as I'm not the happiest of people. To be fair, who would be happy when their lover is going mental? I recall a specific time when I was crying in my room. I remember how Tommy and Toby both burst through the iron door and cheered me up. They're 2 of the best things to ever happen to me. Wilbur was the first--until he went mental and spiraled out of control.

    I felt something tap my shoulder and turned to the taller boy. "Hey, we should go ahead and head up--Dream's on his way." I nodded and took the pickaxe from Tommy for safekeeping. Dream was the true reason Tommy was put into exile. I shook my head in dismay, Toby was still trying his hardest to get Tommy back to L'manburg.

    I found it amusing how hyped Tommy suddenly was--he was going to ask Dream for permission to host a beach party. I'd told him that it was a wonderful idea and that I'd help with anything he needed--whether it be food or building things. I smiled at the fact that Tommy was the one dragging me around once more. It felt right for him to be the one with all of the energy.

I watched as the green man fell beside Tommy's tent, and my smile slightly faltered. Dream and I had never gotten along. I was the builder/supplier of the SMP, and Dream loved to steal from me. If he'd just ask, I'd let him have things. I shook my head at the green man when he reached towards my bag. I'm guessing my glare made him back off.

Tommy started presenting his idea to the man, and I wandered over to the log area that was built. Tommy claimed that Wilbur had built it--he claimed that Wilbur's ghost could be seen and was called Ghostbur. I always dismissed the idea, since I don't believe in things like that. I'd walked over to what Tommy'd redeemed the "Prime Log" and rang the bell that was attached to its side. I heard a noise in the blue van next to me and turned to it. I slowly walked towards the entrance and slammed the door open. My eyes widened upon seeing the very thing Tommy had told me about for countless days, Wilbur's ghost. His eyes widened and a smile appeared on his face. "(N/n)!! It's so good to see you! Tommy told me you were busy every time I asked to see you, so I'm glad you made time to stop by!"

I felt kind of awkward, considering that I'd never believed in things like this. Wilbur seemed a lot nicer--almost like he'd forgotten everything that'd happened these past few months. I slowly walked over to him and wrapped my arms around him. I could still feel him, and it made me smile. I felt him hug back. Though it was cold, I was extremely happy to know that I was able to hug him. I slowly pull back. "Love, do you not remember what happened...?" Wilbur tilted his head, so I took that as a no. I shook my head in dismissal and sat down on the countertop.

"I missed you..." My head shot up upon hearing Wilbur's voice again. I gave him a soft smile in return and glanced down again. I'd hoped that he didn't forget--I wanted him to know what he'd done to his friends and family.

"Have you talked to your older brother or your father?" He shook his head. "How about your son...?" Wilbur paused and glanced out the window.

"...he didn't seem too keen on talking with me." I frowned and moved to hug him again. "Did I do something wrong? Was I not a good father?" I shook my head, not having the heart to tell him the truth.

"No, something happened after you died that upset him. It's not your fault, you're not a bad father." I felt Wilbur hide his face in my neck. I frowned to myself and stared out the window. I saw Tommy's silhouette jumping up and down. I smiled. Dream probably told him he could have the party. "Say, Wil, I think we should go see Tommy. He has some news to share with you." I grabbed Wilbur's hand and led him towards the energetic teen.

"(N/n), you won't believe--hello Ghostbur--what Dream said about the party!!!" I shook my head with a chuckle. Wilbur tilted his head in confusion and started a conversation with the teen. Dream came over to me, and I huffed.

"What do you want, Clay?" I said his real name with lots of venom, catching him off-guard.

"Woah, I was just going to ask you a question!" I crossed my arms and signaled for him to continue. "So, what would you think about helping me with something involving building a base underground around here?" I paused. Was he asking me for help? This is a first.

"Uhhhhh, sure? I don't have much else to do, just let me know when you want to build it." He smiled at me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Thank you. I appreciate it." I nod and turn back to two of my favorite people. I smile at their bonding and start to make my way over to them.

"Oi, idiots! We haven't got all day to lounge around! Toms, we've got a party to prepare for!" I heard the two's arguments of protest but dragged one towards the beach. Tommy huffed as we came to a halt. I dug out the materials we would need to make the party look nice, and handed half to Tommy. "Get started, spice it up. This is your party, so make it yours. I'm gonna work on a cake."

I watched as Dream bid his goodbyes to Wil and took off once more. Wilbur floated over to me. "What are you up to, (N/n)?" I smiled and shook my head. I showed him the ingredients for the cake I was making and his eyes widened. He smiled and watched as I made the cake. He grabbed some berries and placed them on top of the cake. We both smiled at one another, before turning to the child and watching him struggle to decide what to put where.

We both laughed at Tommy's struggles until he realized that we were watching him. My eyes widened as I realized what was about to happen. I turned around and took off running, leaving a mad child and confused Ghostbur behind. I didn't stop until Wilbur scooped me into his protective grasp, leaving a mad child even more furious. I laughed as Wilbur floated us above his reach, leaving both of us safe from Tommy's wrath. I stuck my tongue out at the annoying child, making him huff in anger. Tommy gave up grumbling, turning back to the beach he was working on before. Wilbur floated until we sat atop a tall tree that looked over the vast, empty land around us.

My eyes widened at the view, and I let out a gasp of amazement. I was shocked--I'd never seen anything so peaceful like this. Before the whole L'manburg thing, I could recall the vast forests that once surrounded the land of the Dream SMP. There were still trees, yes, but you had to search for miles to find them.

I smiled widely at the amazing view and turned to my, once alive, lover. Though his skin was deathly pale and cold, he was still the same man I'd fallen in love with all those years ago. I let myself fall into his grip more, onto his chest. Wilbur started humming a pleasant melody, and I felt myself starting to drift to sleep. My eyes became heavy, and I let them close. Before I was truly unconscious, I hear Wilbur say something to me. "No matter what tries to separate us, (N/n), I will always be there. Now that I'm a ghost, I can truly fulfill that promise I made when we started our nation. I promise to be better, and I love you..."