Chapter 28: It's Like The World Is Spinning

Epona's POV:

That afternoon, I split up from Harry, Ron and Hermione. I told them I'd meet with them later. But even though Draco probably didn't, I remembered that he was going to help me study. I made my way down to the library, ignoring the looks I've been getting from people in the halls, asking me how it feels to be the sibling of Harry Potter.

Luckily, Krum wasn't in the library this time, so I could actually focus. I walked down to the very last table, and sat in the exact seat I did before. Draco wasn't there. Of course he wasn't. I've been an asshole to him.

I picked up a book from the potions section and took out my notebook, I started writing a bunch of things down, basically just copying what the book said. Then, there was a loud bang on the table next to me, and a screeching of a chair being pulled out. 

Draco sat down next to me, and ripped the notes out of my notebook and threw them away.

"You're doing it wrong. And that's the wrong book. You won't get anywhere with that." He said, his voice low.

"O-Oh" I said, not even sure how to make out words anymore. 

He got a new book and flipped to a page and handed me a pen, "This is what you want to write down. If you need help understanding, well, I'm sitting here so you get the point." 

I smiled softly. Even though he was mad at me, he still came. I don't think anyone else would have. 

"Less goggling at me, more studying." He spoke in a stern tone and I immediately got to work, my cheeks red.

Draco's POV:

It was painful, watching Epona. She looks completely different from the first time I met her. Back then, her eyes were bright, full of curiosity and and excitement. Like she was ready to take the world head on. But since she came to Hogwarts, that light has faded. It wasn't bad in the beginning. And when people stopped picking on her, the light was back.

But now, since she had started dating Phineas Brown, the light became dimmer and dimmer. Like any individuality she had slowly faded. I don't want to see that light disappear. It's the only thing that keeps people going. 

It felt like so long ago, when we just sat there listening to music under the Quidditch stadium. She seemed so... relaxed. Looking at her now, her shoulders are tense, and her body language has been for a while. She's so paranoid. Every time someone touches her she flinches, like she's expecting someone else, or something else to happen. 

I'd never felt this bad before. Even though I'm not the one going through it, there's something about Epona that makes me want to help her. Like she's a flower in a world of drought. And she's slowly losing water. Wilting. Dying. 

But she stared at her noted with intense focus, only asking me about things when she needed to. She smiled like nothing was wrong. And it's horrible that no one notices that theres something very obviously wrong.

I've tried to ask her about it. I know that it was hard for me until I met Lucinda. I never talked to anybody, and anger and hatred filled up inside me. But Lucinda let me talk to her, without judgement. It was freeing. Epona just says she's fine, though. No matter how much pain she's in, she tries to bury deep inside, hoping that it'll go away. Or at least that no one will worry.

But if she knew anything about friends, it's that we always worry.

Epona's POV:

I checked the time on my phone. There were many texts from Fred and George that I needed to get to the Gryffindor common room for Harry's surprise party. 

I turned to Draco, "Hey, Draco. I gotta run. We're throwing a surprise party for Harry."

"Okay." He replied simply.

I thought for a moment while packing up my things, "Do you wanna come with?"

"No. They wouldn't want me any more than I want to be there, anyways." I pouted at his response.

"Oh well." I leaned down and kissed his cheek, "I'll see you tomorrow then. Bye." I smiled and walked out of the room.

I made my way back to the Gryffindor dorms, and said the password. I entered, and the twins picked me up and hid me behind the sofa with them. They grinned wildly at me, and I grinned back as the lights went out. 

We waited five minutes and then the door creaked open. And with that, we all jumped up.

"HARRY FUCKING SURPRISE!" I yelled, and he laughed. There were other cheers and I jumped over the couch and ran over to the trio.

We had all helped ourselves to some food, and that's when the twins came over.

"So, Effie, where were you?" George asked.

I raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

"Before you showed up for the party." Fred added.

"I thought you said you were going straight here." Ron squinted at me suspiciously.

I tugged at the collar of my shirt, "Well, um, I went to the library. To study for Potions."

Fred and George leaned in, mischievous smirks on their faces, "Alone? Or were you with a certain dragon boy-"

I felt my face get hot and I slammed my hands over both of their mouths.

"MM! You're right! I should've gotten more food from the kitchens instead of going to the library. Silly me!" I smiled at them, giving them a look with my eyes of, 'this conversation is done.'

Hermione eyed me curiously, then started asking the Weasley brothers about how to get into the kitchen. The only reason I didn't want to tell them was because of the whole Gryffindor Slytherin rivalry, and the fact that every Gryffindor hates Draco. 

Nothing more.

But why do I feel so worked up about it?

Neville had managed to turn himself into a canary, and laughter erupted into the room. When he turned back, he started laughing too. It was funny. For the first time in a while I actually felt myself relax. And Phineas and the woman had left my thoughts the whole party.

But I found myself wishing for something else...

If only Draco were here....