Chapter 10: Under the Starlit Sky

Sunlight and the sound of running water permeated the tent as Subaru stirred. He felt a small finger poking at his face as he called out.

Subaru: "Beako?"

Riko: "No, mister. are you gonna sleep all day?"

Soba: "The girls are already up!"

Riko: "I smell breakfast! Come on, mister!"

Subaru: "R-right! You guys go on ahead, I gotta get dressed."

The two boys exited the tent as Subaru changed into his clothes. He opted for a light blue t-shirt and put on his dark green trunks to use in the lake later. He strapped on his sandals and followed after the boys. Everyone was already sitting around the campfire eating with the exception of Beatrice, who was nowhere to be found. Adella prepared a plate of what appeared to be eggs, rice, and grilled fish to present to Subaru. He took a seat next to Niki on a bench before wiping the sleep from his eyes. He picked at his food before turning to Niki to ask his burning question.

Subaru: "Where is Beako?"

Niki smiled at Subaru before pointing in the direction of the tent.

Niki: "Well good morning to ya as well. She already ate and went to change. She's running a little behind, but... it'll be worth the wait!"

Subaru: "Huh? Good morning... You feeling okay? What's with the riddle?"

Adella: "Good morning, Master Subaru, the children are waiting to get into the lake and you must wait 30 minutes after eating so please eat swiftly."

Subaru: "Yeah, yeah..."

Subaru turned his attention to his food but found his thoughts still drifting back to Beatrice. He really wanted to continue the conversation from last night but it seemed to be near impossible for right now. As he ate he heard the rustling of the girl's tent door and what came out took his breath away. Beatrice emerged with her tied back in a long ponytail sporting a black ruffled bikini top with a matching black sarong. Subaru's heart started to beat against his chest as he noticed the contrast of the dark material against her porcelain skin. His mouth drooped open a little bit as he gawked at Beatrice. Beatrice walked over and took a seat next to Adella before talking with Mina. Subaru felt a sharp nudge to his side that snapped him out of his staring. Niki whispered in his ear softly to not attract attention.

Niki: "Hey mister, stop staring at her like that! She's gonna think you are a pervert!"

Subaru: "Sorry... I don't know why I did that. I'm all better now."

Niki: "We'll see about that..."

Subaru: "What?"

Niki: "Lake time!"

Niki stood up and darted into the tent to change followed by Adella. The children, who were already wearing swimsuits, scampered towards the lake and sat patiently on the shoreline. Subaru took the opportunity to steal a moment with Beatrice and talk.

Subaru: "Beako, about las-"

Beatrice: "Those definitely are cats, I suppose. I thought they would jump in, in fact."

Subaru: "Huh? Yeah, I guess it is kinda strange. They are normally a rowdy bunch."

Beatrice: "Hmm..."

Subaru: "..."

Subaru: "Beako... I umm... I think you look beautiful in that swimsuit. It's... somehow more mature. It really suits you."

Beatrice: "Oh, is that true, I suppose? Why thank you, in fact."

Subaru paused at this response. Complimenting her would normally result in a blush, but Beatrice looked completely peaceful. She even accepted it without getting flustered. Subaru began to wonder what could have inspired this change in her behavior but Beatrice cut in by grabbing his hand and staring into his eyes.