Chapter 14: Happy Birthday to Me

Keeley's POV

Beep Beep Beep

"Ugh," I grumbled as I rolled over and turned off my alarm. I sat up in a daze and rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

Today was December 3rd which means it's been a few days since Thanksgiving. Luckily, my father promised us all that his family would not be joining us for any further holidays, that of which we don't celebrate anyway.

But as it was December 3rd, that only meant one thing: my birthday. For the past couple of years, Brady had always made sure we did something on my birthday, whether it be ice cream or board games, he always did something.

Growing up, birthdays were celebrated in my family, but mine was often forgotten or just plain-out ignored. I'd gotten used to that, but Brady threw me for a loop, and this would be the first time in a while I would be spending it without him.

I rolled out of bed and headed to the bathroom to wash the stink from my body. Luca and I trained for a while last night and I had, unfortunately, went to bed sweaty because I was too tired to shower. I turned the water to the highest temp I could handle before stepping in and submerging myself under the showerhead.

I washed, scrubbed, and shaved my body till I was certain I smelled like my spicy vanilla body wash and not some sweaty mess. I dried off with my fluffy white towel and wrapped it around my body as I treaded into my closet.

I know nobody will actually remember my birthday, and it's not like I've told Luca what today is, but I still want to dress cute for school. I slipped my towel off and replaced it with matching white lace underwear and a bralette. I shimmied on a pair of light-washed skinny jeans and a low v-neck, long-sleeved, charcoal grey shirt.

 I shimmied on a pair of light-washed skinny jeans and a low v-neck, long-sleeved, charcoal grey shirt

I slipped on my favorite pair of moccasins before walking back into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and towel-dried my hair so it would lay in its natural waves down my back. Brady's coin necklace was clasped around my neck and the small star bracelet Luca had given me sat delicately on my wrist.

For the first time in a long time, no bruises, marks, or injuries were on my body. Since being home, I've put on a couple of healthy pounds and I don't think I've ever looked better. My cheeks weren't so hollowed and were more full. My eyes held a sparkle I haven't seen in years, and between eating better and training like crazy, the muscles I had worked so hard for were actually showing.

I smiled to myself before walking into my bedroom and shrugging on my backpack. Gus wasn't in here so I made my way towards the stairs and to the kitchen by myself.

As I got closer to the dining room, chaotic shouts filled my ears. I slowed my steps and peeked around the corner to the dining room, where I swear the sight could have sent me into a fit of laughter.

Before my eyes were two mafia families, accompanied with neon party hats on their heads, bickering back and forth over different things. Matteo and Callan were trying to hang up a flimsy "Happy Birthday" banner on the wall while Sam and Donnie were struggling to tie down the balloons attached to the back of my seat. Gus sat quietly in the corner with a party hat sitting awkwardly on his head. My father and Stefano were frantically setting the table while Nick, Gio, and Luca went back and forth over which hat I should wear.