Part 8

Once they arrive back to Atlas' house, he gets out of the car immediately, barking into his phone as usual.

Does he know he's a wolf? He never seems to use his mindlink; it's a waste if you ask me, Jane scoffs.

Well, thank the Goddess that nobody is asking you, then, Conrad sighs back.

She's tired, her arm hurts, and she's starving.

The lasagne had smelled good - from the way Atlas had reacted, it might have been poisoned, but still - and it had made her hungrier.

"I have some leftover spaghetti in the refrigerator. If you get it out and put it onto plates, I'll show you how to use the microwave once I finish this call," he nods to her, and she nods back, scuttling into the kitchen.

A shiver runs through her body, not yet used to the iciness of the new climate.

Her pack is usually a bit warmer, and the change isn't doing her any favours.

She gets grumpy when she gets cold, and the house isn't warm.

He notices the shivers and walks over to where the AC and heating panel is, switching the heat on full blast.

"Thank you," she utters, breaking the silence as she walks over to the refrigerator.

"No problem, I'd prefer if you didn't die of hypothermia the first day I bring you home," he sighs, pulling two plates down from a cabinet.

She isn't sure if he made a joke, or if he's being serious, so she releases a nervous chuckle.

She finds the box of spaghetti after a minute of staring at the very organised fridge, raising an eyebrow at the amount of Tupperware crammed onto each clear shelf.

He seems to have everything organised by meal, which confuses her a little because she's more of an intuitive eater; if she wants an omelette for dinner, she'll have one, screw the rules.

She wrenches the lid off the box and tips half of it onto each plate, looking over her shoulder at him.

She offers him the plates, and he nods to the microwave, which is at his eye level.

"I can't reach that," she softly informs him, putting the plates in front of him.

"I'll make a note of that and have it put onto the counter," he responds, his eyes flashing for a second.

Probably telling the Memphis guy to do it for him, Jane grumbles.

"Thank you, that would be really helpful, considering I'll probably be spending a lot of time here by myself," Conrad smiles, ignoring her wolf.

"You won't be here very much," he warns, "you're going to be trained straight away. We want to make sure you stand a chance against any other Luna or any challengers."

"I wouldn't worry too much about challengers. I was trained as a Beta, and I was prepared to take over the position," she points out, raising an eyebrow, "if I hadn't found you, I was going to be inducted in a couple of months."

This makes him pause for a minute, and then he only nods.

"We'll focus more on the training for Luna duties. You've met my mother, and she's quite obviously incapacitated and therefore unable to perform her duties. We might send you to an allied pack for a week or two for training, but I'd prefer to keep you in the pack to reduce any security risks," he admits, popping the plates into the microwave.

"I could go back to my old one to train?" She suggests, and he shakes his head.

"My pack is not allied with yours. I couldn't guarantee nothing would happen to you, so I won't take the risk," he explains, and she nods slowly, slightly disappointed.