chapter sixteen: stray kids

"Yo, what're you looking at?" Johnny asks his roommate and sits beside him- leaning against the dance studio's wall.

Donghyuck stares at the selfies of him and Eunwol- grinning faintly. "Just some memes and all."

"No wonder you keep smiling. So, what did you do during the weekend?"

"Just went back home and hung out."

"Cool. With your fam?"

"Yeah," Donghyuck answers. Well, technically, he isn't lying since he did spend time out with his family. He just didn't tell him the part where he also, went out with Eunwol.

Doyoung approaches and shifts his gaze between the two. "Yah, Donghyuck-ah, come and get the food and drinks from downstairs with me."

Hyuck starts flapping his arms and legs- protesting and whining. "Why meeeee~??"

"You're the maknae here! Besides, everyone else are practicing. If I could, I'd rather bring Taeyong hyung but he's busy. I didn't want you, either," Doyoung frankly says and Donghyuck scowls while standing up.

He grumbles as they walk out like the bratty yet, adorable Fullsun he is and they head down to the cafe.

"I'm sorry but, there was an issue earlier so the drinks will take a few more minutes," the worker tells them when Doyoung asks for their order.

The idols take note of it and decide to just wait in the private room.

But just before they can set a foot towards the said room, a familiar face comes to buy an iced vanilla caramel latte.

"Oh? Eunwol-ah," Donghyuck greets, keeping his composure since he's with his hyung.

The girl turns and her eyes light up- giving a bow and making Haechan grin smugly at his(ahem, actually, Doyoung's) pOwEr. "Hello, Doyoung-ssi and Donghyuck-ssi. Are you here to buy something too? Or do a live?"

But the younger lad's smile instantly flips into a frown at the formal term.

"Ah, no. We came here to pick up our order but something happened so we have to wait a bit more," Young tells.

The staff nods understandingly. "Ohh, they said the same for my drink."

In the end, the three of them wait together in the VIP room.

"What are you doing here, by the way? Haechan has no schedule outside today," Doyoung asks.

She smiles a little. "The staffs earlier had a small meeting about your next concept, makeup and things like that. I didn't actually, have to come because it was mostly for the head of each section but, our team leader is sick so I took her place."

"Ohh, that's very nice and responsible of you. Even as the maknae, you still would do the job and help your seniors. Unlike someone who needs to be forced," Young uses his gaze to point at Hyuck and the latter turns away while crossing his arms.

Eunwol giggles, amused by the fight between the two rivals.

Donghyuck brings his head to face the front again and he stares at the girl as she smiles.

Doyoung whose focus is still set on him notices his tender gaze and small, pleased grin he wears at the sight of her.

But Doyoung quickly averts his attention to her again when she starts talking.

"Uh, actually, I volunteered because I have work today, anyways. If I didn't have anything planned, I honestly, would've just stayed at home. Meetings can be scary sometimes," she chuckles and the idols sympathize with her.

Donghyuck suddenly, catches a detail. "Wait, you said you had work. Do you have other jobs?"

She shakes her head and hands. "No, no! I don't. I'm a full-time makeup artist. But today, my friend who's also, an idol makeup artist couldn't come to work and needed my help to take her place."

"Oh, really? Which idol?" Young asks.

"Stray Kids."

Hyuck seems to feel a hot spark in his chest.

"You're gonna do makeup on other male idols?" He blurts unintentionally.