Chapter Fifteen: Firsts

Thell yawned and stretched her arms over her head, feeling the hammock sway beneath her. She swung one leg out, cocking her head to see Din near the sleeping pod.

It had been two weeks since they had been on Nevarro and fixed her vambraces. She had practically worn them all the time, sewed into one of her favorite dark tunics. It was a constant reminder of who her father had been, what he had fought for, and what Thell believed in now. And what she believed in was the intimidating Mandalorian dressed head to foot in impenetrable armor and the strange green baby with magic powers that lay at the other end of the cargo hold.
She wondered if it was still Din's mission to find where Grogu was supposed to go. Wherever that was, or finding a Jedi, it seemed impossible. It was why they had been floating in space for two weeks, dropping from planet to planet with just enough time to grab supplies before someone from the Empire spotted them.

It was exhausting, but Thell was glad for the quiet moments that the three of them shared. Eating dinner together aboard the Razor Crest, having Grogu sleep with her in the hammock, constantly holding Din's hand while they sat in the cockpit. Even when his hand wasn't in her's, it was gripping her elbow or resting lightly on her back. He was becoming more and more open with her, still slow with large advances, but gentle nonetheless. They had shared more stories about their lives, the things they held dear to their hearts, and Thell's own heart was full.

"So, what's the plan?" Thell asked from her hammock.

"What plan?"

"... The plan for the kid. Have you found anything out yet?"

She heard him sigh, his back still to her. "No. I'm thinking about going back to that Jedi I met, but I need to stop to do some repairs tonight, though. You and the kid can stretch your legs."

"Finally!" Thell threw herself back in the hammock, punching the air. It had been a while since they had stopped and stayed on a planet for more than a few hours.

. . . .

"Uh, Grogu, let go, bud."

"He's pretty adamant about it."

Thell frowned. "I know. But I don't want him choking on it... Din!"

She slapped his hand away, much to his amusement as he started laughing to himself when he tried to stop her. Thell reached past his legs, grabbing the stick from Grogu before he shoved it down his throat. She threw the Mandalorian a sly smirk before tossing the stick over her shoulder and far into the woods.

Trees surrounded them on all sides inside the enclave they had found on the forest planet. Din had a fire going, like usual, and their empty ration containers lay strewn beside it.

"You were shy.... Before." Din said suddenly.

Thell raised her head, cocking it in his direction. "Before what?"

"... This."

"Oh. I'm just quiet, I guess."

"You talk when you want to, though. Don't misjudge me, it isn't a bad thing. I like hearing you talk... But you were shyer with me. You talked about your family and your life, but you weren't as playful as you are now. You seem... free."

Thell smiled, resting her crossed arms over her knees. "I'm happy. And for the first time in a while, I feel like I can actually be myself... so yeah, I guess I was shy. For a while, I think it was just because I was nervous of what you would actually think of me. I didn't want you getting rid of me because I was desperate or annoying. Or clingy. Because trust me, I can get very clingy if I don't watch myself."

He huffed beside her, leaning forward to knock his shoulder into her lightly. "I'll keep an eye out for that."

"... But I'm okay now. I would have been okay before; I was just too scared."