The Epic Departure of Fred and George Weasley

With the end of holiday nearing, the importance of their upcoming examinations became more evident; a batch of pamphlets, leaflets, and notices concerning various Wizarding careers appeared on the tables in Gryffindor Tower shortly before the end of the holidays, along with another notice on the board, which read:

CAREER ADVICE

All fifth years will be required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House during the first week of the Summer term, in which they will be given the opportunity to discuss their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below.

Estella looked down the list and found that she was expected in Professor McGonagall's office at two on Monday, which meant she'd be missing more than half of Arithmancy. She and the other fifth years spent a considerable part of the final weekend of the Easter break reading all the career information that had been left there for their perusal.

"Well, I don't fancy Healing," said Ron on the last evening of the holidays. He was immersed in a leaflet that carried the crossed bone-and-wand emblem of St. Mungo's on its front. "It says here you need at least an E at N.E.W.T. level in Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I mean...blimey....Don't want much, do they?"

"Well, it's a very responsible job, isn't it?" said Hermione absently. She was pouring over a bright pink-and-orange leaflet that was headed So You Think You'd Like to Work in Muggle Relations? "You don't seem to need many qualifications to liaise with Muggles....All they want is an O.W.L. in Muggle Studies... 'Much more important is your enthusiasm, patience, and a good sense of fun!"

"You'd need more than a good sense of fun to liaise with my uncle," said Harry darkly. "Good sense of when to duck, more like...listen to this:

"'Are you seeking a challenging career involving travel, adventure, and substantial, danger-related treasure bonuses? Then consider a position with Gringotts Wizarding Bank, who are currently recruiting Curse-Breakers for thrilling opportunities abroad...' They want Arithmancy, though....You could do it, Hermione!"

"I don't fancy banking," said Hermione vaguely, now immersed in Have You Got What it takes to Train Security Trolls?

"What are you leaning towards, Stella?" asked Ron, looking at the girl who was reading a Daily Prophet pamphlet.

"I think I've narrowed it down between Transfiguration Professor and being a writer. I've been toying with the idea of starting my own international news organization that'd cover world Wizarding news and has columns based on each major location where there's a Ministry of Magic like the Americas, Australia, all through Africa, France, and Belgium. But only real news that the people genuinely should know, you know?" she said.

They were all looking at her.

"That's a great idea, Stella," said Hermione, setting her pamphlet down.

"You'd definitely outsell the Daily Prophet with that," beamed Ron.

Harry looked at the girl, pride evident in his eyes.

"Thanks, guys," she said, smiling.

"Hey," said a voice in Estella's ear. She turned around; Fred and George had come to join them. "Ginny's expectin' a Howler," said Fred.

"Told Mum this mornin' and she replied almost immediately. Absolutely furious with her," said George.

Estella stiffened. She was the type of person to avoid conflict or confrontation by any means necessary; it was her most toxic trait next to avoiding her problems.