SEVEN

"These steaks are way too expensive... Let me just shove a couple down my pants instead and people can think I'm hung."

Trying to knock the dumb idea out of their head, I pushed the grocery cart into Seiko's back.

"Ow!" They grabbed their backside, "That was mean."

I walked up to Seiko and grabbed the steaks in question, bagging them up and placing them in the cart.

"First of all, you're not stealing. And more importantly, you're not putting raw meat next to your genitals." I scolded, grabbing the back of their hood and dragging them along to the next aisle, "I'll pay for it."

My friend fluttered their big brown eyes at me, "My hero."

I elbowed them and we both began laughing, my hand quickly coming up to cover my mouth.

Seiko had asked me to come shopping with them, they said it was more fun when I came. I only had a little bit of time before work but I enjoyed my time with them outside of the hospital.

"Ooo, I want some fries from the freezer section. Let's go there." They suggested, walking ahead of me.

My mind wandered back to eating McDonald's in Shoto's car.

It had been about three days since that night. I hadn't seen or heard from him since. He just disappeared.

And I had no way of contacting him because he 'didn't give out his number'. I still didn't understand what that meant.

I realized I barely knew him and it shouldn't matter too much, but Seiko always tells me how their love life is spontaneous and full of flings.

My life is much more boring than that.

It was a nice change of pace. A stranger kissing me in a parking lot.

Smack!

"Ouch! The fuck!" I yelped, grabbing the back of my head.

My friend looked at me with furrowed brows, "If you stare off into space so hard you can't hear what I'm saying, one more time? I will kick your ass."

Still rubbing my head I huffed, "You're so violent."

They leaned over and forcefully kissed my forehead , "Aww. It's only because I wub you."

"Okay, please go back to being violent." I groaned, pushing them away from me.

Seiko cackled and threw the bag of fries in the cart.

We continued walking around the store, finishing up our shopping and chatting, when suddenly my phone started vibrating.

I pulled it out of my pocket.

Unknown Caller

"Who is it?" My friend asked, being nosy as always.

I shrugged and declined it.

"Do you want to make those steaks together sometime next week? I saw this really good looking recipe on—"

My phone began vibrating again.

Unknown Caller

"What the hell?" I looked down at the screen, knowing spam callers usually only call once.

Once again I declined it.

"Anyways—"

It began ringing once more.

"Oo that's kinda spooky. Maybe you should answer it. I'm curious now." Seiko pushed, biting the skin around their nails.

Unknown Caller